Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Good gully!

Jon 6a SE MA
9 years ago

Really warming up here

I added a couple of feet to the width of the gully.

From the 350 year old bench

View, back to the gully.

Blue Angel; the 'anchor'

Brim Cup that has a baby ???

A couple of First Frost showed up a few days ago; one was lost and I thought was gone....but-

{{gwi:996977}}

It was hiding under a layer of leaves...came pretty close to being buried under a boulder.

Earth Angel looking good. Mostly liners back here. Very, very shady and poor soil, but they have done well. Most planted a year ago last Fall. They are not big enough for a 'landscape' shot of the area...yet.

I bet you have never seen a yellow hosta like that 'Lost Frost' before!

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 16:01

Comments (8)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I really love the whole landscape you've created. Just lovely.

Steve

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve,

Man am I sore from lugging those boulders.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Just love what you have done! That was a LOT of hard work.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Really nice, you are so lucky having all those boulders and using them to make that great looking gully. Large hostas are a perfect compliment to it!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

ooohhh,, johnny the rock boy.. i recall this project...

your blue angel above.. is variegated ... so.. better check that name ...

and it seems it has no petioles.. leaf stalks.. it either too deep... sunk in at planting.. or the mulch is too high ... pull it back and look ..

same with brim cup as to depth ...

springs bustin out all over.. someone ought to tell her mom ... lol

thx for the pix

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Johnny, be ye careful lugging boulders. I heard my rotator cuff (cup?) pop when I tried to pick up a big rock several years ago, and still do not have full range of motion with that shoulder.

The "Lost Frost" is going to find its normal coloration soon enough, but it sure is pretty now.

Also, I did not realize that the gully was so close to your house, which makes it even nicer to think about walking down the slope to view all those naturalized style of hosta plantings. Isn't there a bench even further down the slope? A great landscape you are planning for the long term.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Bernd and hostahosta. Use what you have right?

Ken, I have had the 'Blue Angel' for a while. I think it looks a little variegated because it has just emerged. I went down to look and it is sitting up high. It has not been variegated in past years, so I expect it is because it has just awakened.

Brim Cup is at the right height and it was just the angle of the picture or the earliness once again. First Frost is covered a little high with leaf litter (very light). It needs a little TLC.

Moc, I have a good sized hand truck, but loading them, lugging over rough terrain and then rolling them into place is tough. Luckily I have had only a few bad sprains in my life; lower back gives me a lot of trouble sometimes...oh, and then the pinched nerve that led to spinal fusion...maybe I should be careful.

Picture 3 shows part of the 350 year old bench.

I should search for the pics of how I made it. The wood came from a 350 year old building in Fall River. Old mill, I think, because it was black....maybe from age or the atmosphere in a mill, maybe. A guy in Middleboro was slicing the huge timbers and making flooring out of it. My bench was some remnants from his operation. Real thick and rugged flooring for sure. Nice to be sitting on some history from the area.

Hosta are small now and there is a lot of other stuff back there that I hope will show up in later photos. Thanks again to all for the compliments.

Jon

• User
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL bench, Jonny.
    I have one which ,my brother made for me from 150 year old cypress that he salvaged from a home in Thibodeaux LA, a 90 year old house, built from RECYCLED cypress too. Amazing to feel such wood. My bench still has the big sawblade marks in it, and I treasure it for the history and the giver.