Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Who Else is Scheduled for a Snowstorm on Sunday?

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Whooopie!!!

*&^%^%$##$@$$!!!!

Don B.

Comments (23)

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Seriously?! That is horrible. Here it's close to 90 today and was 91 yesterday. Eeeek! Cover those hostas!!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, we've had steady 60's, 70's and 80's the last couple weeks or so, with nice evenings...that's Colorado high altitude for ya, I guess...

Don B.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Oh, so sorry. Here in central Ohio we are done with winter. It was 88 yesterday (near record high). Getting decent amounts of rain for the hosta and the warmer weather is encouraging them to unfurl their leaves. It finally looks like a garden!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks great, HostaHosta. I'm hoping they're overestimating this storm. I know the snow will be gone real quick, but it's that projected low of 30 that has me a little worried.

Don B.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm at 6250' and had snow on Tuesday, Don. So I feel ya! Your post scared me so I check my weather and while it say Saturday night will dip down to 39F, there's no mention of precipitation.

We had no real Winter this year, so I guess I should be grateful for the little bit we are getting in Spring, huh?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

We have had rain pretty much since Wednesday and it is supposed to continue thru the weekend with snow levels coming down to 5000 feet. I don't live too much lower than that so I wouldn't be surprised to have a rain/snow mix on Sunday. Our forecast low is 38 for Sunday so hopefully they are right about that and we don't hit the freezing mark. I am not covering the plants this time.

I hope they are wrong about your low temps and all your plants survive without any damage.

We are supposed to have another big warm up next week...up to 80 by next Friday.

LInda :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Liquor stores have lots of boxes (at least here). Cover the hosta. Remember my 16 degree morning after my fragrants pipped?

bk

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I quickly checked my weather too! Forecast shows lowest temp for next 10 days as 41. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm just starting to enjoy the hostas as the 90 degree temperatures yesterday has made a huge difference!

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

Oh no! Not another snow forecast!
    Don, hit the liquor store early in the morning for boxes. Might as well get a bottle for yourself in case the snow doesn't materialize and you can celebrate Mother's Day with a tall cool one.

We had an unpredicted heavy rain, which is very nice for all the newly up potted hosta. Even though some of them were almost bare rooted to remove the old mix material, they did not skip a beat. I'm new to the frost/freeze damage that the rest of you endure regularly, but I know what it looks like now.

Good luck, Don. Let us know how they all fare.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, BKay. I knew there was a reason I've not thrown a cardboard box away for 1 year. I'll go run out and scrounge up some more, too.

Don B.

P.S. I know you do need that water there, Errant. That's for sure.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Shirt-sleeve weather forecast here, for which I'd offer a pagan sacrifice if it meant no snow this late!! Fingers crossed for you that 30 temp is just a pessimistic guess.

*&^%^%$##$@$$!!!!

Yep. Exactly my sentiment too if there was snow in the forecast for CT.

Good luck Don B. and be sure to let us know how your hostas fare.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

78 with a slight chance of rain for here on Sunday. Many years ago we had a snowstorm in mid-May when the leaves had just opened up. It created havoc with thousands of tree branches overloaded when the snow on the leaves brought down thousands of power lines. The place I worked at had no power for a week as did many other places. No power at my house for a week as well.

Not good. Run out and get a generator, would be my advice.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. And, thanks, Jon. I do have a generator, but I appreciate the suggestion all the same.

Don B.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Do you think a plastic garbage bag would help on a large plant. I have a SAGAE that is at least 3 feet in diameter.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sunnywood, it might. It's worth a try; I do worry about how cold it'll get for you (20's?) for any length of time.

Best of luck,

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Sunny, you could use a small tarp and some stakes to hold it taut over Sagae as long as you aren't expecting a significant accumulation that would collapse the tarp on the plant.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I use sheets with stakes to prop it up if the hostas are leaved out. The dollar store has some fabric plant covers that are about 8' x 16' in size, too.

We haven't had rain here in about a week and the soil is very dry but we haven't had snow either, so I am not complaining.

Good luck, Don

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Don, wow, winter storm Zephyr to dump more than a foot of snow, hopefully not where you are. We had 79 today, so no complaints here.
    Bernd

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Did you spend all of today covering things? I hope you scrounged up some big boxes or whatever else you could find. Your last hosta pics were looking so good. I can't remember if my leafed out hostas have ever gotten snowed on, but, it's those really low temps that are the most worrisome. Best of luck!

Sunnywood, I thought plastic was a no-no unless you can make sure it doesn't touch the plant and that it comes all the way down to the ground. I'm not experienced with it, this is just what I think I've learned here.

My question is: What the heck is realfeel? Is that only for people or for plants, too? We're going to 37 but realfeel (on Accuweather) is a lot colder.

Linda, I'm so glad I read your post about the hard freeze being in effect that second night (last week or so). I left the covers on and they did help. I tried covering the leafed out ones, but I have too many scattered around and have freeze damage to a lot of the ones that were only spears. Hope your garden came through it better.

I have 10 trays of annuals using my row cover for the next few nights, so I'm also not covering anything in the yard this weekend. I'm at 4800 so hearing they're predicting snow as low as 5000 is too low for comfort. !^@*^%@ to quote Don, lol.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think RealFeel = Wind chill factor. Don't know why they don't just call it 'Wind chill factor'.

Don B.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong; my answer was incomplete.

EDIT: Added link

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Feel Calculator/Origin etc.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, May 10, 14 at 23:34

• esther_b
    9 years ago

OY VEY! I feel ya, bro. I guess you better start running around with cover-up sheets and hope no one thinks you're crazy. But why care what they think? They're not....HOSTAPEOPLE.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL that's right, Esther. I have a few neighbors I consider friends; The rest, well, the weirder they think I am, the more they will STAY AWAY (That's the theory, anyway. So far so good.)

I have many boxes covering up a bunch of hostas, with a stone on top of each to discourage blow-away if the winds kick up.

Good luck to all the folks who might want a little luck. We'll be sunbathing again by Tuesday!

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Fingers crossed! Boxes work well. Here's hoping all goes well and that your efforts will be rewarded. Please Let us know how things go for you.