Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
first mail order question

Posted by mbug nj (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 16:06

received my first mail order...actually from ebay bids. Good size beautiful plants...arrived in great condition...first frost, orange marmalade, risky business. Arrived bare root. I put into containers with soil/potting soil and watered. I have spots in the garden for them. Should I keep them in pots for a period of time, or get them in the ground right away?
Once again, thanks!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: first mail order question

Wow those look great. I have looked at the eBay auctions and wondered what might show up.
Dave

o

Who was the ebay seller? If you have the garden spot for them, go ahead and put them directly into the ground. If you are still preparing the bed you can leave them in pots, but it's preferable to put them directly into the ground if you can.

Steve

o

find the post on MOVING A FULLY LEAFED OUT HOSTA. .. and study the MASKING TAPE method..

grab them in a bunch.. tape them up.. and plant them in the ground.. ROOTS DOWN ... and water ..water.. water...

and leave the tape there for a week or two.. or until it fall off itself..

ken

o

Be aware that not all ebay sellers are reputable. You might want to try doing a search on this forum for "ebay" and the name of the seller.

Or, consider keeping them potted or quarantined for a couple years to determine if they've brought any diseases or pests with them.

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 23:25

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Will plant right away.
Ken..moved a few using rope/masking tape from your earlier post and it worked great.

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 17, 12 at 23:26

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Will plant right away.
Ken..moved a few using rope/masking tape from your earlier post and it worked great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here