Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

SUCCESS! Streakers made it.....

to Canada! I am now the proud owner of four streaked seedlings that arrived in the mail from Devon! They have been in transit for 9 days. I was starting to lose hope but they made it to my mailbox yesterday and picked up this morning. I am, needless to say, over the moon about this!!! I can hardly contain myself, lol. They were wrapped so well to ensure they would survive the trip.

These are from the Doug Beilstein breeding program purchased by Devon at Hosta College this year. Devon has very generously gifted me with these special seedlings and I will do my utmost to ensure that they thrive here. Just to help them along their way he also sent a packet of his Epsoma Bio-Tone for fine root production.

If I've messed up any information here, please correct me, Devon. :-)

I have to go to a nursery and pick up brand new little pots for these beauties and some more amendments for potting mix. Soooo excited.

I would like to introduce "The Four Smiths" . They are recuperating in a wine glass in water for a little while, while I get their pots ready.

Jo

Comments (15)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are in water -in a wine glass, no less! Lol

• LeafyKeen
    9 years ago

How exciting! They look quite cute in their wine glass. :) ( I especially like that little guy bottom left) I hope they grow into big beautiful plants. Keep posting pics as they change and grow!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw LeafyKeen, thanks for looking! Yes, That little goober is so cute! You bet, I'll post progress! This event today is a biggie for me. Thanks for sharing in my excitement. :-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice acquisitions, Jo. Looks like Devon 'Green' Smith grows some nice product. : )

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Don! I must agree. I hope they will grow big and healthy for me. :-)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I am happy and excited for you Jo. You will have a lot of fun watching them grow no doubt. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of their progress soon!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, NHL...it's a miracle they made it over the border! :-)
    Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Documents, Jo...? You don' NEED no STEENKING documents! ; )

Don B.

• luuk
    9 years ago

Josy, I'm a little bit envious of these special seedlings :-)
    I'm happy for you ... keep us updated !

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Jo, very nice to get you started on streakers. Was that shipment within Canada, no need then to go through customs at the border with US?
    Bernd

Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, Bernd...they were shipped from Indiana via priority post through the postal service in a small envelope (see pic) masterfully packed, no weight or bulk to speak of. As tracking goes, it left the Indiana on the second day. From there it took 7 days to get to me. Three days ago I called our postal service to make an enquiry. I was told that if would take easily 4-6 days to clear...anything suspicious would be held. Luck held out.

Yes, you do need documents (p.s.certificate) to send plants across the border. A lot of growers selling hostas are not willing or prepared to expense anywhere from $65-150+ On a certificate unless they are a big business of course. Tthese were so tiny they escaped scrutiny in a postal envelope. I had just about given up hope - 9 days is a long time to stay sealed up! You can appreciate how special they are to me. :-).

LUUK, thank you and - shall do! :-)

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

I am very glad to see them make it. I thought for sure they would be a shriveled mess of what was once some nice seedlings, if they arrived at all. As far as documents go, if you notice in the first picture on the bottom left, there is my document I sent explaining what was in the package. I guess that was good enough for customs.

Those were 4 of the over 45 that I paid a whole $15.00 for at this years HC. I am quickly running out of room in my mini greenhouse. So I thought I would spread some of the joy. I have right at 99 seedlings and a vast majority of them are streakers. I got very lucky for my first year. The ones that have been outside for a couple of weeks are growing like weeds. (middle flats in the picture below)

Here is a shot of my little slice of heaven from today, I only wish is was big enough to pull up a chair and set in it.

and I have another 29 starters coming next week, plus the 50+ seedlings that are still under lights inside. I can't wait for it to stay above 50 at night so that I can get them potted and outside.

I think the Bio-Tone is the stuff!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Devon, thanks for popping in :-)

The best news is that it passed! It was opened at customs, inspected, your note read, accepted, repackaged, taped and forwarded ... without the requirement of an expensive certificate! This is definitely food for thought! :-)

That cold frame is getting mighty crowded there! What a fabulous nursery! So exciting, Wish I was there! I'd work just for the pleasure of being able to touch them all and to sleep among them! Lol

Jo

• esther_b
    9 years ago

I wish I could buy a greenhouse and set it in my co-op's front yard. Could hardly wait for apoplectic letters and emails from the nasty co-op manager. Hee-hee, it would be worth it just to see the steam rising out of his ears!

Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Esther, you slay me! This isn't the first time, this late that I find myself laughing out loud at your humour. The "steam rising out of the ears"...like Fred Flintstone? Who was it that blew his stack going beet red??? Was it Fred? Mr. Rubble?

Can I make an investment in this greenhouse? I'd help you set it up! Sorry, my bad!

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert