Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New pic...

Posted by hosta_freak z6 NC (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 16:16

Here is Blazing Saddles,a plant just planted last year,which came from Lowes. It is at least twice the size it was last year,and the leaves are twice as wide. Phil

photo DSC_0017_zpsd7e31345.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New pic...

What a beauty. Another success story!
Jan

o

...And another one. This Northern Exposure,streching out to be another good year. Phil

photo DSC_0014_zpsebbe8f73.jpg

o

Can you stand one more? This one of my Sum and Substances. The only one I have ever seen that has bigger leaves is one in Janices garden. These leaves are as big as a platter. Phil

photo DSC_0003-1_zpsb403208d.jpg

o

Nice pictures. I really like the Northern Exposure. Now you made me NEED to get one!

I have two Sum and Substance planted in 2011. They are just emerging now. I am wondering how big the leaves will be.

o

• Posted by mbug none (My Page) on
    Sat, May 4, 13 at 21:45

All look great!

o

All do look great!
Can you put a tape measure across that S&S for us next time? Maybe take your walking stick and mark inches on it. Is it a shillelagh for real?

My S&S began emerging seriously during our 4 days of rain. I got it in 2010 and brought it south after it went dormant in 2011. It is still in its pot, I think we need to find something bigger very soon. VERY soon.

Drats! I thought I took a picture yesterday but don't seem to find it. Tomorrow for sure.....

o

Phil-thanks for sharing your photos of your garden. I love these three-I need to look into buying northern exposure-I love it!!

o

Awesome, Phil. Looks like everything's up and running at Hosta Vista! This is my 'Krossa Regal', just took this pic. This is my most leafed-out Hosta so far, by far. Tons coming up, though. So glad winter is FINALLY over in Colorado!!

Regards,
Don B.

o

This one doesn't count, because I bought it already leafed out. It's a 'Noidus Greenicus' of the family 'WalMarticus'. A little frostbitten but it'll live. Might be one of those ambiguous 'sieboldiana' specimens.

Don B.

o

Another new pic. Here is Pineapple Poll,the forerunner of PUDC. Phil

photo DSC_0033_zps25026877.jpg

o

Phil,

Is there anything you have trouble with?

Jon

o

Well,one of my favorites has not showed up yet this year.It is Winter Snow. Last year,it looked strange,after looking really good the year before. It may not return,but you never know? Most of my hostas have always grown well. Blue Angel has never been a good grower,but Earth Angel is really good,every year. Phil

o

Rockets Red Glare

o

dupe

This post was edited by Bill123456 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 22:23

o

Here's Frozen Margarita,a sport of Fried Bananas. Phil

photo DSC_0035_zpsbd327698.jpg

o

A sea of hostas showing a couple of my Stripteases,and many others. Phil

photo DSC_0025_zps5f047a62.jpg

o

Phil, you have only beautiful hosta? Geeee, that is a lot of effort to have them all look that good.

Northern Exposure has goose bumps from the chill I think. I sure wish........but not this year!!!!

And the LAST picture, with your "sea of hosta" shows they are filling in the hillside pretty darn quick this spring. With your garden nestled down between the hills that way, you have a nice microclimate for hosta. Or so I surmise.

Well done, and thanks for the update.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, May 6, 13 at 23:48

Yes, Phil has only BEAUTIFUL hostas! Thanks, Phil. I'm lovin' it!

-Babka

o

You people are too kind! You don't think I would show you my ugly hostas do you? Some of them are so-so,and others are too small to show.like my Frosted Mouse Ears,which lives under a hosta 'tree',which is Lakeside Ripples. I can't take credit for how my hostas grow,because all I ever did was plant them,and watch them grow up. It's the soil.and God. Phil

o

Hi Phil, all your hosts are looking great, thanks for sharing. Here is a picture of my High Noon second year coming up in my yard. I'm really looking forward to seeing how big it gets. Gary

o

Another pic. This is my other Sagae,along with Fried Green Tomatoes. This Sagae is many years older than the big Sagae,but,for some reason is smaller. It is in another part of the garden. Probably because it was attacked by voles a few years ago. Phil

photo DSC_0004-1_zpsa49d78ed.jpg

o

Dawns Early Light. I love the color in early spring,before they start going greener! Phil

photo DSC_0012_zpsebbebecc.jpg

o

Just one more. This is Paradigm,a plant that I bought at my church bazaar back in 2005. It grows on the side of a hill,and every year soil washes down on it,and I keep thinking it will be buried too deep,but every year it defies that and comes up really good again! It's a keeper! Phil

photo DSC_0007_zpsc0e58af3.jpg

o

Beautiful, guys! Keep those pics coming, Phil, we love 'em!

Don B.

o

Sorry, it's not Hosta...Besides pips and 'Krossa Regal' I don't have much to post but for Tulips! :( They're coming, though...soon....

Don B.

o

A small garden section,featuring Carolina Blue,and Great Expectations. Phil

photo DSC_0021-1_zps6f80a8c6.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here