Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

New pic...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Here is Blazing Saddles,a plant just planted last year,which came from Lowes. It is at least twice the size it was last year,and the leaves are twice as wide. Phil

Comments (26)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

What a beauty. Another success story!
    Jan

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...And another one. This Northern Exposure,streching out to be another good year. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can you stand one more? This one of my Sum and Substances. The only one I have ever seen that has bigger leaves is one in Janices garden. These leaves are as big as a platter. Phil

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Nice pictures. I really like the Northern Exposure. Now you made me NEED to get one!

I have two Sum and Substance planted in 2011. They are just emerging now. I am wondering how big the leaves will be.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

All look great!

• User
    10 years ago

All do look great!
    Can you put a tape measure across that S&S for us next time? Maybe take your walking stick and mark inches on it. Is it a shillelagh for real?

My S&S began emerging seriously during our 4 days of rain. I got it in 2010 and brought it south after it went dormant in 2011. It is still in its pot, I think we need to find something bigger very soon. VERY soon.

Drats! I thought I took a picture yesterday but don't seem to find it. Tomorrow for sure.....

• indymom76
    10 years ago

Phil-thanks for sharing your photos of your garden. I love these three-I need to look into buying northern exposure-I love it!!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Awesome, Phil. Looks like everything's up and running at Hosta Vista! This is my 'Krossa Regal', just took this pic. This is my most leafed-out Hosta so far, by far. Tons coming up, though. So glad winter is FINALLY over in Colorado!!

Regards,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This one doesn't count, because I bought it already leafed out. It's a 'Noidus Greenicus' of the family 'WalMarticus'. A little frostbitten but it'll live. Might be one of those ambiguous 'sieboldiana' specimens.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another new pic. Here is Pineapple Poll,the forerunner of PUDC. Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Phil,

Is there anything you have trouble with?

Jon

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well,one of my favorites has not showed up yet this year.It is Winter Snow. Last year,it looked strange,after looking really good the year before. It may not return,but you never know? Most of my hostas have always grown well. Blue Angel has never been a good grower,but Earth Angel is really good,every year. Phil

• Bill123456
    10 years ago

Rockets Red Glare

• Bill123456
    10 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by Bill123456 on Sun, May 5, 13 at 22:23

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Frozen Margarita,a sport of Fried Bananas. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A sea of hostas showing a couple of my Stripteases,and many others. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, you have only beautiful hosta? Geeee, that is a lot of effort to have them all look that good.

Northern Exposure has goose bumps from the chill I think. I sure wish........but not this year!!!!

And the LAST picture, with your "sea of hosta" shows they are filling in the hillside pretty darn quick this spring. With your garden nestled down between the hills that way, you have a nice microclimate for hosta. Or so I surmise.

Well done, and thanks for the update.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Yes, Phil has only BEAUTIFUL hostas! Thanks, Phil. I'm lovin' it!

-Babka

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

You people are too kind! You don't think I would show you my ugly hostas do you? Some of them are so-so,and others are too small to show.like my Frosted Mouse Ears,which lives under a hosta 'tree',which is Lakeside Ripples. I can't take credit for how my hostas grow,because all I ever did was plant them,and watch them grow up. It's the soil.and God. Phil

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Hi Phil, all your hosts are looking great, thanks for sharing. Here is a picture of my High Noon second year coming up in my yard. I'm really looking forward to seeing how big it gets. Gary

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic. This is my other Sagae,along with Fried Green Tomatoes. This Sagae is many years older than the big Sagae,but,for some reason is smaller. It is in another part of the garden. Probably because it was attacked by voles a few years ago. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dawns Early Light. I love the color in early spring,before they start going greener! Phil

{{gwi:915890}}

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just one more. This is Paradigm,a plant that I bought at my church bazaar back in 2005. It grows on the side of a hill,and every year soil washes down on it,and I keep thinking it will be buried too deep,but every year it defies that and comes up really good again! It's a keeper! Phil

{{gwi:998051}}

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, guys! Keep those pics coming, Phil, we love 'em!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sorry, it's not Hosta...Besides pips and 'Krossa Regal' I don't have much to post but for Tulips! :( They're coming, though...soon....

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A small garden section,featuring Carolina Blue,and Great Expectations. Phil