Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Favorite hosta for sun

jamie81
12 years ago

I have been admiring all the beautiful pictures and reading your posts for months. I have a small hosta garden, and I would like to start a new one in my front yard. I am in Minnesota and I would be planting on the east side of my house, so full sun until late afternoon. Any suggestions?

I have a very pretty September Sun there now, but as summer goes on, it gets pretty ragged. I also have a golden tiara, that grows like crazy, but isn't very interesting. Any favorites that do well in sun?

Comments (9)

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Welcome- Liberty, Paradigm, Cathedral Windows, June, On Stage, Rhino Hide, Sagae, Abba Dabba Do, Atlantis, Sun Power, Old Glory, Gold Standard, Patriot, Fragrant Bouquet, Guacamole......Pick these up and when you're ready I'll list some more. With a little watering, many hosta do well in some sun in Minnesota. Link below to the Hosta Library so you look them all up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library for Pics

• jamie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much. I actually have a sagae in my back yard, and it is one of my favorites. It is huge. I would love to have one out front. I also have June on my list. I have been looking at the pictures here, and its very nice.

Hopefully it will stop raining long enough to visit one of the garden centers this weekend and see what I can find.

• Tim
    12 years ago

My Stained Glass hosta, American Sweetheart hosta, and Guacamole hosta are doing great in the sun.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The American Sweetheart is really pretty. I don't imagine I will find many of these at a garden center, but I will know what I am hunting for.

I did not know about the Hosta Library for pictures. Not sure how I missed that, but what a great thing.

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Jamie where in MN are you located?

Paul

• jamie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm in Minneapolis.

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Jamie, A couple of local places that have hostas and are knowledgeable and have clean plants - Venero's (I'll throw a link below), sadly they have their Nursery for sale. Make it a point to visit this one - nice selection and wonderful display gardens. They are in a residential neighborhood and ask customers to call ahead for an appointment.

Funkie Gardens - 2 1/2 miles north of Marine on St Croix (MN95 along river). Nice Selection.

Tangletown Gardens is in Minneapolis, selection decent, though prices seemed a bit high and saw a couple of suspect hosta that kept me from buying.

Also Karla, The Hosta Lady (Oak Grove, MN) is having her sale Fri-Sun thru 1st weekend in June - Send me an email if you want info/list. Good selection.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Venero's Gardens

• Cindy
    12 years ago

My understanding is Dancing Queen does well in Mn sun. That is what my hosta guy said.

• jamie81
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul, I really appreciate all your help. Venero's looks like fun and its not that far out. I am going to start there and see how I do. I will give them a call once we get a dry day.

I will also check out Dancing Queen

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH