Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

A few seedlings

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

This is one I saved from the gravel at Hosta Farm on my visit there with Papou. It wasn't always in the ivy here, but the ivy keeps spreading.

Comments (10)

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The larger yellow on the right came from the gravel at Hosta Farm also. I moved it from the bed with the ivy to the back yard when I realized it was going to stay yellow.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are a lot of blue seedlings in this area. Probably a couple of those smaller plants are named plants I bought. Most of that is seedlings.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A little yellow seedling under another hosta...

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another yellow

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Wish I had some seedlings coming up in the garden! I guess I disturb the area too much by raking, cleaning, etc. :-(

You have so many of them - lucky you! They are so sweet. Do you leave the area undisturbed intentionally to encourage seeds to set? I see by the moss that the area stays nice and moist?

Jo

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jo, I'm embarrassed to say this area was 'undisturbed' for a few years due to my neglect and nothing more, LOL. The moss is taking over the back yard, actually, but I don't really mind the moss. That large bed with the hostas was very full of ivy that had taken over and was choking out some of my hostas. I pulled a ton of it out this winter. Now, I need to finish IDing as many of my plants as possible, pull the considerable weeds out of the bed, and decide what to do with the various seedlings that have sprouted all over the place. It's probably going to be a summer-long project to get that bed back in order, but that's OK.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Josephine, if you can stand to see the dried up scapes sticking up above the snow all winter, you'll have seedlings. I can't believe how big mine are this year. It took me a couple of years to recognize them as seedlings. I'm sure I was pulling them up for years thinking they were weeds.

My June has given me several yellow seedlings.

Lavandargirl, you sure have some nice seedlings there. I'm going to pull my bigger seedlings up this year and transplant them on the hill in the park in back of me.

Gesila

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

This year I noticed 2 tiny green hosta seedlings that look the same, but in different areas of the garden. I potted them up together to see what thy will look like when thy grow up. I guess if they look boring now, will they be duds? Time will tell! This is a neat thread, thanks for sharing!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I noticed new seedlings every spring from two large blue-green hostas. They usually are also blue-green and also grow big.
    Bernd

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gesila! I think when I get down to business cleaning up my larger bed where all the seedlings are, I might make a special bed for them. It'll be my NOID bed :) Once I get done identifying all of my named hostas that I can, I surely don't want to get the NOIDs mixed up with them in the future. That's a good idea you've got to transplant them to a park near your home!

Ravensfan, what I've always heard people say is that a large percentage of seedlings will be green, regardless of the hosta they came from. There are a few that seem to grow true from seed, like kikutii, which is a species hosta. Even if a seedling starts out different, it'll often grow up to be pretty plain jane. The blue one and the yellow one that are the first 2 pics I posted in this thread have retained their color, shape, etc. for a number of years now. I guess it was 2006 when I plucked them from the gravel and saved them. I am not even sure how long most of the seedlings I've discovered in my bigger bed have been there due to all the ivy I pulled out of that bed this past winter.

Bernd, do you have a picture of your seedlings you can share? We'd love to see them :)

Angie

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer