Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newfound admiration for Wide Brim

Posted by hostahosta Z6OH (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 16:18

Wide Brim was one of the first hosta I planted. Bought at a big box store in 2008 as I was creating the bed on the east side of my house. These three, shown in 2008, were planted together and have never been moved. Over the years I have pretty much ignored them. They grew, had one tough year where they got toasted from generator exhaust, but never impressed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newfound admiration for Wide Brim

Fast forward 6 years, and wow. They are impressing me now. I know it is a common one, but they have really grown into their own. Margins have widened, corrugation developed, they now look like mature specimens.

Just had to share this with you all!

o

Wide Brim is a great hosta. I have ten of them,and all of them came from Lowes,in bags. Still look good,and look at my post,'the beat goes on',and you'll see one of mine. Phil

o

Here's one of my Wide Brims,and Golden Sunburst,which used to be a Frances Williams. It just 'morphed' from a regular FW,into this plant. It tends to burn,however,just like the edge of an FW. Phil

photo DSC_0028_zps3ebdd410.jpg

o

Wide Brim is the true story of the ugly duckling turning into a swan.

Wide Brim photo WideBrim20100923_zps7c3106c5.jpg

photo WideBrim20130609_zps36344569.jpg

HH, yours are amazing. I love the color yours have! And Phil, I love how your Wide Brim is reaching up for the light!

o

Interesting sport of FW. Just looked up GS in the hosta library. The way my FW are burning right now, I'd like them to sport! I did notice your WB in your GT ring.

o

photo 2014-05-25001001_zps6f0847ac.jpg

Second year Wide Brim in my oriental niche which last year was framed with 3 really nice De Groots Spires that ended up as sticks which are growing little green patches and look like they are recovering from The Attack of the Killer Deer.

Jon

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:25

Wide Brim has a special place in my heart. Before I had a digital camera, I was so taken with Wide Brim, that I cut a leaf off and put it in my copy machine to have a life-size leaf to hold in my hand during Winter.

-Babka

o

Wide Brim is a great hosta and these pics prove it.

Babka, aw, you sure love your hosta. Your comment hit home I'm sure with more than just me. :-)

Last year my daughter's girlfriend Trisha gave her a piece of a hosta to give to me. It had three leaves through which I tried to get an iD. It came up with 5 eyes this year so hopefully, when it is finished unfurling we can try again.

I'd be a happy camper if it turned out to be Wide Brim! :-)

Jo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here