o
April showers brings May hosta (pics) 3

Posted by franknjim 5 Peoria IL (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 16:21

Dark Shadows. One of my favs.
Dark Shadows

Guacamole. It's growing on me.
Guacamole

Band of Gold. Looking forward to this one maturing.
Band of Gold
I bought it after seeing this one at Hornbaker Gardens last year. It is strange that their plant marker has that it was planted in 2004. You would think that it would be a little bigger by now if that is the original one they planted. It is from 'Dorothy Benedict' x hypoleuca.
Band of Gold
Twilight. Has been slow. One eye added in three years.
Twilight

Atlantis. Patiently waiting for it to get huge. Just planted all of this last years so I can't complain too much. Lemon Lime, Golden Tiara & Golden Scepter around it.
Atlantis

Patriot's Fire. Last year this was quite ugly. This year it is making me look. Most of the leaves have a very thin white edge.
Patriots Fire

Lakeside Love Affaire leaf. This one only has three eyes. One that I wish that I had planted a few together.
Lakeside Love Affaire leaf
Lakeside Love Affaire leaf

Orange Marmalade. Holding the color well so far.
Orange Marmalade

Fringe Benefit. The margins turn white on this one.
Fringe Benefit

Alvatine Taylor. Looking forward to this getting huge.
Alvatine Taylor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: April showers brings May hosta (pics) 3

All of them beautiful, and Dark Shadows especially so. Gotta have that one.

Steve

o

Dark Shadows comes up like this but quickly darkens up. This pic was taken three weeks ago.
Dark Shadows Leaf

o

Beautiful photos. Dark Shadows did change a lot for you over a short period of time. It is a beautiful Hosta.
Cher

o

Love dark Shadows - mine is still a baby, got it as TC last year and it is bigger. but not spectacular like yours yet. And I have to go on a hunt in my garden. I know I bought Twilight, but I don't remember seeing it so far this year.... all great pictures!

Alexa

o
RE: April showers brings May hosta (pics) three

My Twilight is a pretty powder blue right now even though it doesn't show it in the pic.

o

Frank -- that circular bed with 'Atlantis' in the middle is quite spectacular. I have a tiny Atlantis, planted rather close to a Sum and Substance. Wrong, right?
Jan

o
Atlantis

Atlantis is supposed to grow up to 5' wide. Hopefully once the Atlantis grows in it will hang over the top of the Golden Scepter.

o

There aren't even words for that round garden you have.. I generally expect to pay admission to see things like that ;)

o
Round bed

I threw that round bed together last year after seeing a few formal circular beds on here. I bought the six eyed Atlantis last year and already had a bunch of the others. I planted about 15 small clumps of Golden Scepter, 30 of Golden Tiara and 60 of Lemon Lime. The plus side of propagating the old stuff too much. I still have a couple dozen pots full of it plus quite a few clumps of them spread out as temporary fillers.

o

Frank, the picture above gives enough surrounding detail to notice the stepping stone border. It is like a big flower with the outer rim of plain flat petals....a big sunflower with a hosta heart to it. Seen in its entirety, it is super impressive.

I noticed another stack of planted pots, a tower, and like it. Do you have a bar or something down the middle to keep it from tipping over? Or is it necessary at all? What a great way to present the smaller hosta and companion plants with a big floral display!

Are you a garden designer? So much talent!

o
RE: April showers

The stack of pots is pretty heavy so there is nothing down the center. I think the bottom pot is 20" and the top pot is 6".

I put the round bed in a few years ago when I was just getting back into gardening. All of the grass is gone now and it is all hosta. The only garden design that I do is I get a whim and throw something together as I go. I don't plan anything.
Before 2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here