Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Just realized what I am missing !

leafwatcher
11 years ago

Ever since I became AWARE of the whole HVX thing...

It has changed the entire hunt and seek part of the hobby..

While I used to enjoy stopping at every little nursery, and grocery store that carried plants.. now I feel uneasy, like a character in a ZOMBIE movie.. I stand way back, turn my head a lot ...I don't even like picking up a potted Hosta.. JUST IN CASE.

I admit I see it everywhere "HVX" even when its not around :)

I sure miss that fun treasure hunt feeling before there were known ..CONSEQUENCES

Comments (12)

• dray67
    11 years ago

I will admit the ignorance was bliss. Home depot had $2.50 4 inch liners of fun stuff like June, Earth Angel And whirl wind a few weeks back and I was to afraid to buy any. I do still explore, but the fear keeps me from buying every thing I want.

Dave

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I feel the same way...kind of depressing, isn't it? I won't even buy a healthy hosta from a nursery or gardening center if there are diseased ones present. Canna is another plant that is often sold diseased...

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I still look, but I don't buy unless I know I'm dealing with a knowledgeable source. I'll often ask a retailer where their Hostas come from. If they know about HVX and they tell me their plants come from Walters, I'm fine buying at that nursery. If they haven't a clue, then I only look.

However, I do make day trips to "safe" nurseries that are an hour or so away. Those have turned into special trips in which I know I can get great plants in excellent sizes from knowledgeable sources. Most local Hosta societies have a list of recommended sources on their websites.

Steve

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

You people are paranoic!! Get over it!

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

If you don't want to chance buying a hosta, you might consider a heuchera!
    Jan

• plantgnome
    11 years ago

I don't think people are Paranoic or paranoid if you will, a lot of Hostas are pricey, and if you plant a diseased one among them-you can lose them all. That's a lot of money. I consider gardening an investment in your home and property. That said, happy gardening.

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

I still HAVE to do a run down the aisle at the hostas for sale, no matter where it is. JUST to see how they look and what they are offering, hvx, etc...that must be why I recently came home from Lowes with a $3.99 Fire and Ice. *hangs head in shame*
    I figure, for four bucks, throw it in a pot. I'm intriqued that many people say F and I is crap that withers away to nothing so...
    let's see what happens.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had three plants get sick, and I used to move a few around before I knew any better.. without cleaning tools... So I am twitchy and nervous! hahahahah
    I do drop a heuchera in to any known trouble spot, and I like those plants so its a nice substitute. I did put in a NICE big blue Hydrangia the other day . Hopefully it will cover up all those bad memories hiding silent in the dirt below.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

"like a character in a ZOMBIE movie.. I stand way back, turn my head a lot ...I don't even like picking up a potted Hosta.. JUST IN CASE."

That made me laugh! I'm also afraid to touch hosta I see at the big box stores. I know it's irrational, but that's how much I don't want to bring anything home to mine. But, go figure, I still take a chance on local nurseries, and I have a few from Lowes from before I started reading here. So far, so good.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

As far as HVX spreading to other plants,that idea is pure bunk! I have an HVX plant growing right among some other plants and it has never spread to anything else near it. I am planning removing it soon,but as for now,it is still OK. And don't keep from buying a plant from some place other than online growers just because you're afraid. If I did that,I would have exactly two hostas now,because I don't buy on line. I bought 4 plants online back in 2005. Two of them didn't even make the first year,and the other two are still poor plants,and yes I can mention that it was Wade and Gatton. I'll go away now. Phil

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

When I first learned about HVX I was paranoid too and didn't buy any hostas for a couple of years. I only buy hostas online from reputable nurseries. I go to local nurseries to see what the hostas look like "up close and personal." Not to mention, the ones I buy online have bigger root systems than the ones the nursery carries.

Deanna

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Phil,

If you want to put your garden at risk by buying plants from Lowes, be my guest. But to recommend that others do the same is plainly irresponsible. Not every plant at Lowes has HVX, maybe about 5%, maybe less. Maybe your local Big Box store uses a reliable provider, but in another part of the country they don't. Frankly, it's your attitude that allows suppliers to continue to supply diseased plants to the public. If you don't want to seek out safer suppliers, that's your business, just don't recommend it to others.

Steve

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville