Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

When do YOU repot your hostas?

Yep, I know you can really do it anytime (reasonably), but I am talking about those of us who grow a good number in pots. What's the routine for you on the hostas that you know will need a size up in the upcoming season? Do you wait until they are leafed out completely? Or do you tend to do it a bit earlier? What's your reasoning? I'm trying to vet a comment that I heard from someone today, don't want to say the details just yet (don't want it to slant the findings, here), but wanted to see what you guys typically do with this.

Comments (7)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Here's a whole bunch of answers. ;-)

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Up-Potting Hostas

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I generally do spring, just when they start to pip. I do other times as required. One note, though. If you do it in the summer - tape the petioles in an upright position. (See Ken's old thread about moving fully leafed out hosta.) If you don't, they may look wilted the rest of the summer.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka, thanks for the link - I remember that thread - but what I am asking is not talked about in that thread. That thread is more about method than timing during the growing season. My main question is (forgetting about the exceptions that are done throughout the year), when do you repot or up-pot your hostas as a rule of thumb, do you do it when they are pipping or do you wait until they are leafed out?

Thanks, Bkay. That is what I was looking for. That's one for pipping. Hopefully, we can get a consensus here, but it might just be divided.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Oh....I was reading that as "when" meaning what is going on in the pot.

Timewise, I totally agree with Bkay, that Spring is best when they begin to grow. You can slip them out of the pot w/o damaging and leaves. I have hacked some of mine in half at that time and you would never know looking at them a few weeks later.

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm glad to hear that, guys. I was talking with Solberg and he said to wait until they had leafed out to up-pot the hostas. That kind of threw me b/c I have always done it when they are heavily pipping so as not to have to deal/break the leaves in the process. It seems like it would be so much harder if you did it when they were already leafed out, but Solberg, of course, knows what he is talking about. I think I'll stick with the easy way, though.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I would whole-heartedly agree with you. But it sure ramps up my curiosity to know the reasoning behind his comment. Would anyone know?

• User
    9 years ago

I began repotting my hosta this spring, the worst ones first, and they were basically outgrowing my potting. So by the time I finished, I was taping up fully unfurled hosta to avoid damaging the leaves. I did a LOT of up potting too.

I'd vote for the springtime. Pip stage is easier.

One reason why I do not like to do it late in the year, the mix is soft, and if I tip the pot for dormancy, the mix will fall out, and the squirrels can dig in it so much easier. Damage is greater on freshly potted dormant plants....in the fall. NOT in the spring, because I'm all over the garden in the spring, and not so much during dormancy.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH