Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

My patio garden yesterday *Pic heavy*

brandys_garden
9 years ago

I am now at 18 hosta.... So, I am almost back to where I was at the end of last season.
Here's most of my crew yesterday... Many are looking fuller and so pretty! (Wheee, June, Fire Island, BME, Guacamole, Krossa Regal) The "bulbs" are coming in nicely, too.
Fire Island had to be repotted, it grew out of it's pretty color complimentary pot! :( I got it a new pretty "mint green" pot today and potted it. It's 9.5 inches. So she is happy now.

Wheee!

Whirlwind Tour

Summer Breeze

Paul's Glory

Minuteman

Krossa Regal

Guacamole

Grand Tiara

Fire Island

June

Bressingham Blue

Blue Mouse Ears

Orange Marmalade

Labeled Night Before Christmas but believe it's Fire and Ice?

Undulata Medio Variegata bulb #1

Undulata Medio Variegata bulb #2

Undulata Medio Variegata bulb #3

The patio babies

Front view of patio (look closely, you can see King Arthur enjoying the garden at the bottom of the screen!)

Comments (14)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Your Guacamole is gorgeous. You must have it in just the right amount of sun to get that subtle variegation. Everything is looking good. I like all the new pots and pot stands.

Steve

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

I especially love your Summer Breeze and Wheeee! I might need Wheeee! Thanks for sharing, they look super!

Oh, the Undulatas don't look like Undulatas to me...I don't see any variegation and that is usually very obvious...maybe someone with more id knowledge will know. The word "medio" in Latin means "mid, middle, partly or halfway" and the word variegato means variegated. (Undulata means undulating, wavy.) Anyway, all that to say, I think there should be variegation showing....someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! There is some slightly ligher coloring inside. I don't know if it's because they're "babies" or what though. But I had one that completely changed looks the 2nd season before. So who knows? I am keeping it labeled that until it's a little older and can tell for sure better. :)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I would keep an eye on "Undulata Medio Variegata bulb #1". The middle leaf looks like may be showing signs of HVX - collapsed tissue and possible ink bleed. Although it's hard to tell for sure because the sun is shining and it is not a close up shot.

That said, I agree with Mary that it is not undulata. It looks blue which undulatas are not.

Mislabelling and HVX is typical for hosta bulbs from a bag.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

All are just beautiful!!! I especially love Bressingham Blue
    and Fire & Ice. Bravo! :)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

I am thinking that any company that puts "bulb" on the bag for a hosta, probably doesn't invest much interest in hostas. Hostas simply are not bulbs and shouldn't be labeled or called bulbs. Hostas have crowns and roots.

I started out with hostas from bags, so I am not knocking the bags, just the labeling is suspicious and makes me suspicious about the accuracy of the plant id itself. It really might be a much nicer blue hosta.....it could be Blue Cadet, or Halcyon. If it's pretty and healthy, it won't matter, right? Elegans is often sold in bags, too.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Looking lovely!

Agreed with the others...You've got something other than undulata there. Even a tiny wisp of undulata usually has bright white centers. Yours look nicer than UM to me though...from the pics, they look to have good substance. Elegans are often sold in those bags, too...?

This post was edited by jadie88 on Wed, May 7, 14 at 20:36

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Hi Jadie88, yes, I actually bought Elegans in bags at Walmart once. And you know what, they are gorgeous. I have had them for quite a few years now and no signs of HVX. Probably not the best place to buy them, but it was on a whim and it worked out for me.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Ah, Mary, I'm sorry, I hadn't read your post all the way to the end! I didn't see that you had already suggested that they could be Elegans. When I wrote my post I was also putting it out there that I've seen them sold that way before, too. In fact, mine came from a box. :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Looking really nice there, Brandy. Looks like a nice bunch of happy plants. Being an enabler like the rest of us, might I suggest a great compliment to Summer Breeze...Dance With Me. Also a sport from Summer Music, making it a sister plant of Summer Breeze. Forgive me if I posted this previously, in another thread. (?) I can't remember (getting old), but better seeing it twice than not at all. : )

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Love them all, Brandy! Adding Wheeee! To my list :)

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's why I have the "bulbs" so far away from the others. They don't even have a chance of touching or "breathing" on them. I had heard that bags and especially U. Medio Variegata's are from Holland and big HVX infected.
    Here's a pic of Fire Island in it's new mint green home. Good drainage. So I think it'll be good for it for a couple of seasons at least.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, I love Wheee!, too! She's one of my top 2 faves! She's stunning and so cool looking! Thanks Don, I am looking for one more besides Cherry Berry and Rainbow's End.
    Here are some cute additions I got for my bday. I never have much luck with flowers, but a couple of years ago, I had some really great vincas. So, my friend, Lisa, picked some up for me. So something to dress up my front and give the kitties something to look at and it attracts butterflies, too.... So more eye candy for them out the bay windows.

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE: The labeled and possibly mislabeled "Night Before Christmas" leaves are starting to relax and un-twist They are straightening out. If not NBC due to the wide variegation, then what could it be?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES