Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

NOID - Never say never!

jan_on zone 5b
10 years ago

I Promised myself that I would never again buy a hosta that wasn't identified. Then Loblaws (that's a major Canadian grocery chain that has a pretty awesome seasonal garden centre) started selling huge three gallon hostas labelled "assorted ". I bought two, because they had the thickest toughest leaves I have encountered. I plan to plant them in the woods at the cottage, where life won't be easy for them. These look like bullies. Any possible ID's?

Giant NOID #1

Giant NOID #1

Giant NOID #2

Giant NOID #2

Love these guys, but gotta know their names!
Jan

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm going to make a guess here. It looks a bit like my Victory, planted in 2011. One of them does, anyway.

Boy, those are beautiful hosta. I could live without a name but it would bug me too. It would take a real disciplinarian to turn away without buying them, glad to see you gave them a good home.

• User
    10 years ago

And honestly, the other one looks upright and waved like a nice Sagae. But.....can it be? Egads, what LUCK.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

#1 compare carnival ... its the cleandon streaking that is key for me ... the THIRD!!!! color ... the grey in between the green and the gold ....

#2 compare antioch ... or one of its other dozen names...

i would NOT suspect more recent.. newer TC babes.. to be sold as ASSORTED HOSTA ... lol.. but you never know ... it is canada.. eh??? .. lol ...

ken

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Loblaws, eh???? LOL

• lupinguy
    10 years ago

Perhaps wide brim for the first one and Frosted Jade for the second!

Since I am in Southern Ontario Which Loblaws and How much?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

#2 Certainly looks like 'Antioch' to me as well. Nice-sized plants you got there...

Don B.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Very nice. I have no idea but all my noids are named Bill. Paula

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NOID #1 (yellow edge) - don't think it could be 'Victory' mocc - mine seems to be much more rugose than the library pics. Could perhaps be 'Carnival' ken - it certainly has that third colour. I have a "Wide Brim' lupinguy, and mine is not nearly a think as this newbie.

NOID #2 (white edge) I have what I think is 'Antioch' and it is much softer and drapier than this NOID - it will wave gently in not much breeze. This guy holds his leaves quite horizontally and they tend to be a bit cupped - this one will be a debris collector I fear. 'Frosted Jade' might be a possibility - is it really thick?

I'm with ken that these are probably old faithfuls, although the boys at Loblaws know a thing or two about marketing and sometimes have a few exclusive introductions they would certainly be bragging about it and not selling 'assorted'

lupinguy - I got these at the Fanshawe and Richmond Loblaws in London, $19.99. They have a nice selection of gallon size $6 hostas, a few $10 eg. 'Designer Genes', and then these biggies as part of their gigantico collection. They had about 6 varieties, a couple of them actually with names - Sun Power, and Fragrant....dream maybe, not bouquet.....

I love big hostas - I have no patience! And mocc I actually resisted them the first day - woke up thinking about them and had to go back again the next day. Never say never!
    Jan

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Jan, I'm with you. I want instant gratification. Last year, I picked up a giant striptease. It came back beautifully this year. Later in the year, I picked up a large Royal Standard. This spring, I tried a nursery I've not used before and they have 3 gallon pots of hosta. I bought Paul's Glory and Olive Bailey Langdon. At Calloways, the place I got the striptease, I got Key West and Elegans. None are new cultivars, but I'm happy with them.

There are two upsides: Cleo doesn't bother the big ones and I don't have to wait 4 years to get a nice full pot of hosta.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

#1 could be fortunei aureomarginata. It has the right number of veins.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

The leaves have a great deal of substance. Very heavy and stiff.

bk

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe bk, I don't have fortune aureomarginata, but I do have albomarginata, and it isn't nearly as thick as the NOID. But I certainly think it is likely to be something rather common.
    For now, since Paula has dibs on 'Bill' I'm calling them 'Thug' and 'Bully'!
    Jan

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Great names. Sometimes a bunch of tc's has some sports that are not THAT different from what they are supposed to be, so they don't get named and registered. But, hey, if they can still sell a plant as "assorted" ...no culling,... no probem. Getting something for them is better than tossing them, so.....Since you are not absolutely sure, just give them your own great names and enjoy them.

-Babka

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

Jan,

Your reference to Loblaws intrigued me, so i went to our local Loblaws to see if the garden centre had anything like your two specimens. And they did. At least, they were dead ringers for yours, in this case nicely identified by little stickers on the pots.

The first, as bkay correctly identified it, is fortunei Aureomarginata. The second is Francee. Oldees but goodies, as they say. My guess is that the company shipped similar hostas across Canada.

Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve - thanks for the reconnaissance mission. (Hope you found a treasure) But I'm pretty sure NOID #2 isn't 'Francee" - I bought one of them too, and here they are together. 'Francee' has 8 vein pairs, NOID has 15. Also quite a difference in colour. (The 'Francee' was well marked, and in a 2 gallon pot, rather than the three gallon NOID.)
    Jan

NOID with 'Francee'

NOID with 'Francee'

• Sunshine_E
    9 years ago

NOID# 1 Looks like Whirlwind or Twilight Hosta
    NOID# 2 Looks like minute man hosta

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

#1. Silk Kimono
    #2. Frosted Jade

Steve