Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A hosta to compliment yellow?

Posted by debhawks 4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 16:56

Hi, it's me, the hosta newbie. Tomorrow is the 1st day of the local "Hosta Lady's" sale. I have a spot for a hosta that is among variegated solomons seal, happy returns daylilly (the lemon yellow version of stella) , and lady's mantle. Can you steer me in the right direction as far as color? My instinct says blue tones. Does it need to be solid, or is blue/green or yellow vg ok? If solid, what kind of leaf shape/design?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A hosta to compliment yellow?

Are you talking about Karla?

Tell her Melissa Koska says hello.

Your instincts are right. Blue is the right color to shoot for... I'd go as powdery blue as possible. Halcyon or Krossa Regal would be great.

o

debbhawks, what size hosta are you looking for? She has lots of blues at her sale.

Here are a few on her list-
June M
Rhino Hide ML
St Paul M
Queen of the Seas L
Komodo Dragon L/Giant
Blueberry Muffin SM
Camelot SM
Ultramarine ML
Mourning Dove M

BTW, for anyone close to Minneapolis-St. Paul area the Hosta Lady is located in a NW Metro outer burb. Sale is Fri, Sat, Suns thru 1st weekend in June. Bought a couple of times at her sale. Drop me an e-mail if you want info.

Paul

o

Yes, the same Karla! I'm looking for med size and I do have her list. I see she only has 1 halcyon! I was going to ck out June also. Blue it is then, and I'll be looking for just the right one!

o

Get one of each.

Then you won't have to worry that you missed a good one.

o

Ultramarine is very dark greenish blue.
Teatime is a tender soft smoky blue with a yellow margin.
Satisfaction is a strong grower with a greenish blue middle and a yellowish margin, really looks lovely and commanding.

Look them all up on Hostalibrary.org and see what you like.
Now, I know Frank would get one of each, and it is a sure fire way to get the perfect one. I like my new June, and now I have a "J" for the Winter Hosta Alphabet posts!!!! (That's how I chose Ultramarine as well.)

o
RE: A hosta to compliment yellow??

Ultramarine has a very distinct look to it and will blue up more than mine is now.

Ultramarine

o

Queen of the Seas is one of my favorites for its Blue/Gray color. That will go well with yellow or any variegated Hosta.
Queen of the Seas Pictures, Images and Photos

Steve

o

The leaf of the ultramarine would be new and different for me. Oh, that satisfaction is beautiful! Have to ck her list to see if there is one comparable. I have never ordered or gotten a hosta through the mail, is it worth waiting for the one you really want? I might find one like that......

o

Check if she has Topaz. That's an amazing blue.

And El Nino has the best powdery blue of all! It GLOWS at twilight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here