Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

Hold on Tight and Watch Your Step- We are Headed for the Ravine

Jon 6a SE MA
9 years ago

{{gwi:999612}}

Clematis and climbing hydrangea in front of the shed. Took some hydrangea...

{{gwi:999613}}

...and started it on the way to the Ravine on the old swing post.

{{gwi:999614}}

Arriving at the Ravine..

{{gwi:999615}}

3 Earth Angels on the left of the Ravine, some Ajuga

{{gwi:999616}}

...too pooped to look them up right now. Nice though, huh?

{{gwi:999617}}

Earth Angel, Japanese fern..

{{gwi:999618}}

EA, ajuga, Hakonechloa (slow starter) Don't get Beni-kaze; 3 died

{{gwi:999619}}

First Frost, periwinkle (variegated, not the mollusk), astilbe way down, pretty much impossible to see...

{{gwi:999620}}

Vinca Minor; it will be all over soon...

{{gwi:999621}}

Brim Cup and Blue Angel...

{{gwi:999622}}

Let's count noses, we are at the bottom. Back to the Ravine; Japanese fern, noids on the hill and weeping Japanese Maple....

{{gwi:999623}}

Whew, that's a lot of rock...

{{gwi:999624}}

Kapow...

{{gwi:999625}}

We can sit down and take a quick break on the bench made from salvage 350 year old wood taken from Fall River someplace...old mill...I think...

{{gwi:999626}}

Always get one lonely orchid..

{{gwi:999627}}

Two liners that didn't get trampled (5) originally...

{{gwi:999628}}

Looking up at the two we saw before going down. There are 4 Inspire Greatness to the left out of the picture that I must have missed...sorry...

{{gwi:999629}}

WE MADE IT!!! Back at the top, everyone still with us?

{{gwi:999630}}

In back of the shed, Golden Norway Spruce...nice isn't it?

{{gwi:999631}}

Back home safely, Montgomery Spruce...not a hosta. Well, I'm tuckered out from the climb. Hope you enjoyed what is the start of something that should mature into a nice little area.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sun, May 25, 14 at 17:32

Comments (14)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Its going to be lovely then everything fills in. Did you haul all those stones to the site? Actually I think watching the stages is more fun.

DD

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup, Donna, I started to throw rocks there when planting things, then I started collecting rocks and throwing them to fill it in. I then started to hunt big rocks, The biggest were moved by leveraging them with my digging pole (everyone should have one) the simple huge only boulders along the edges were moved with my trusty hand truck and hefted or rolled into position.

Somehow it seems addictive.

Jon

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tour! It looks really good and I can't wait to see it when your plants are mature. I am envious of all that space you have.

Linda

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Linda, The liners are in their second (creep) year. I keep showing pictures, but it will take time for it to fill in. In other areas I keep having to keep thinning out plants. I planted this based on mature sizes so it will take a while.

Jon

• sandysoil_2008 6A Near Boston
    9 years ago

It will be beautiful when everything matures and fills in but what a lot of backbreaking stone work!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Loved the picture tour. Keep posting pics as it all grows.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandy, some of those boulders were tough, but once you get something going and you like it, you, strangely enough, look forward to it. It may have something to do with an endorphin high. I'm afraid I've become a rock addict.

Do they have rehab for this?

HH, definitely will update in a couple of months when there will be some growth and at least some things in bloom.

Jon

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Whew, I'm exhausted. Need a beer. Thanks for the exercise! Good stuff!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You kept up pretty well 'nista. You deserve a cold one.

• User
    9 years ago

So glad I found this thread, never saw it before, and I was so wanting to connect your ravine to its spot in your garden. I really like what you are doing. The results will be so satisfying.

I've discovered the benefit of my garden is calming to think about, when I'm not there. Much like Dorothy clicking my ruby slippers together and thinking of my place, my HOME, it takes me there. There is "no place like home." You are making it your own, Jonny, and it is already showing your imprint.

EDIT to add ...
    Jonny, I think you need a good gold hosta in there somewhere, let the sunshine strike its leaves at some time during the day. I suggest you try Johnny Angel. I think of you when I look at mine. It is a durable performer. This taken in April late.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Mon, May 26, 14 at 10:49

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

One gorgeous little red orchid with a come hither look in her eye.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moc,

It is very shady back there and a gold hosta might have a tough time. There is another bank further on that is separated by a small valley where I think some fast spreading lighter green hosta might brighten it up and form a background. Any suggestions for a low, fast growing hosta that might do the trick or even something other than a hosta that may work. It is a big area to cover.

In the Fall I am going to divide up some Elegans and form a 'gateway' to the rock ravine. Out a little bit from the rocks so it doesn't squeeze the picture.

Maybe even the variegated Vinca Minor that I have a lot of
    could work. Light so it doesn't disappear into the woods in the background, does well in the shade, grows like a weed, I like it and it would be free. I just picture a field of light green where the hosta end and the meadow would begin. Nice when the blue flowers bloom....I guess you see where I am gong with this one.
    Unbiddenn- I'm careful not to disturb anything around them. It is reassuring to see them every year. Somewhat rare, I guess.

Jon

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Jon, your place is looking great. I LOVE the dry stream bed. Keep up the great work.

BTW Rehab is for quitters. ; )

Don B.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Don, I guess there are worse addictions.

Jon