roblksd

Seedling Photos

roblksd
11 years ago

Hope you enjoy them. I appreciate your comments. Rob

Comments (5)

• User
    11 years ago

The #3 is the one I like the best, the one which looks like a rain chain, Chinese rain chain. Cupped up perfectly, and it looks about medium sized.

The last picture, that plant has solid leaves and patterned ones as well. Is it a seedling doing that already? I thought only mature plants tended to sport about that way.

The seedling photos folks are adding to the forum make me think about having seedlings of my own. A wee bit early for me to do anything about it, but what a fascinating activity.
    Thanks, Rob, really enjoy the show and tell.

• roblksd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 3rd one is just starting to get the bloom ( wax) on it. It is about 27 " tall. It will get even more cupped as the season goes on. It has an unusual form. It reminds me of Unforgettable in the way that it is unusually tall compared to its width. Of couse the fact that I am overcrowded probably has something to do with it. The last one is an example how a streaked seedling can settle into a potentially permananent form. I will seperate out the medio-var. part and hope it stays and performs well. The other part may even send up some streaked leaves. Thanks for the comments. If you need some advice to start some of your own I will be glad to help. Rob

• alexis717_df
    11 years ago

#2 and #3 are my favs. I like the way #2 can't quite make up lts mind on which variegation pattern it wants. I like rebels.#3 three has very nice color and I really like the cupping, over all shape and pebbling. good job :-)

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Rob, I really, really like the 4th one in streaked form and hope the sporting can be retained. The blue is outstanding. How long do you normally consider working with a seedling by selectively isolating the variegated eyes from the regressive monocolor eyes before "giving up" on it?

Les

• roblksd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am glad you like them Alexis. The second one is looking like I should get an edged and medio-var. plant from it.I call it Lakeside Talkin About as in thats what I'm talkin about. The solid blue is Lakeside My Generation which I have already divided from it. It is hard to get scale from the picture but it is about a 30" tall plant. It gets very blue and is just getting the bloom on it. Les, I will dig that one up, wash it off good and see if I can divide it without to much stress on the plant. You can see how one of the leaves still has some streaking. I will grow all of the divisions side by side for probably the next 3 or 4 years. I will try and keep the streaked part going as long as I can and hybridize with it. That plant is probably 4 years old. I want to see how it grows and performs in different light conditions. I can't say I would ever give up on it. I would look to it in the future for being both a pollen and seed parent. Rob