Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Marilyn Monroe

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

I like the shine this one has along with the ruffly edges. I thought it was Marilyn Monroe, but apparently I had an incorrect ID. Any ideas on the name?

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Tue, May 6, 14 at 18:16

Comments (15)

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I don't think that is Marilyn Monroe...
    Marilyn Monroe should have red petioles and white backs.

It's hard to tell from this angle but your plant almost resembles Bridegroom.

Vanessa

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

It's ventricosa, a species Hosta.

Steve

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right, Vanessa. This plant doesn't have a white, waxy backside to the leaves or red petioles. Hmmmm I know when I purchased it I was under the impression it was Marilyn Monroe :) I don't think it's Bridegroom, either, though. The description I'm reading says the leaves twist upward. That's definitely not the case here. Okay, now I've got another unknown!

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can see more of the plant here.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Steve!

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess what?! I think I know what this hosta is, finally. I believe it is Stir Fry! I know I bought that. I'm pretty confident that is what this is. Thoughts?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I'm inclined to agree with Vanessa - in the last picture it is showing the sloping downward aspect and twisty tip curving upward. If you find some purple dots toward the crown, then it is Bridegroom.
    Jo

Stir Fry is similar...I just checked my book for details. A nice hosta! :-)
    Isn't it nice to be able to identify your hosta? I'm still waiting for more growth so I can account for two I can't seem to recognize yet!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:56

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, I'm sure I never had Bridegroom. I do know that I had Stir Fry, so I feel pretty confident that's the correct ID, finally. It is nice to be recall their names! It's going to be a process - that's for sure. Good luck with the two you don't recognize :)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I agree with Lavendar. Bridegroom has a more upward slope to the end. I looked them up yesterday. They are both
    from Holly's Honey selfed. And Holly's Honey is a ventricosa seedling, so Steve is right, too.

bk

These are my two Bridegrooms. The little one is coming back from dormant eyes, so will probably stay small for a while. The other one is new this year from Chris. The ear is Fuzzy's.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I was on the ruffled edge hosta kick a few years ago, so I have tons of them. I didn't realized I had Stirfry until I checked my list for possible ID's for you.

Here's my Stirfry:

Have you seen Don Rawson's list. I'm using it to figure out some of my NOID's. It has listings of hostas by groups. For instance, you can find Stirfry under Piecrust-Leaved Hostas. Marilyn Monroe is listed three times, once under Piecrust-Leaved, White Backs, and Red Petioles. I've entered the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Rawson's Lists

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila, thanks for that link! I can see that will be very useful. Glad this post helped you remember that you had this one :)

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay - thanks for sharing your pics of Bridegroom for comparison! Nice plants :) And nice Stirfry, Gesila.

• serenitycove
    9 years ago

Here is my Marilyn Monroe. If you look close you can see the red petioles. I'll have to see if I have a better photo.

• serenitycove
    9 years ago

Here is a photo from last year.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Serenity, I like it your MM a lot! Thanks for sharing :)