Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w3csx

New friends followed me home.

w3csx
9 years ago

I was out Nursery hopping today. Two Hostas caught my eye. Look at the size of this Blue Angel! They are only in one gal pots. But every bit as tall as the whiskey barrel they are propped up alongside. The leaves are as wide as dinner plates. I'm guessing they must be grown from division rather than TC? Shame these where the last two, I wish they had just one more.

Comments (6)

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now where to plant them.?

Jason

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL...How about right into that barrel there?

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

is the barrel full of whiskey ... cant imagine why it would be in the middle of the porch otherwise ... lol ..

congrats ...

for the life of me.. i cant imagine how they grew those plants ... in those pots ...

do NOT fert them for the rest of the year... remove ALL potting media... and get them in mother earth ...

and do not be disappointed.. if they are much smaller next year ...

it is obvious.. that they are in a lush vegetative growth phase [perhaps the understatement of the week.. lol] ... you have to insure... they slow down.. and harden off before fall ... or they MIGHT rot ...

i hope you know the tape trick.. and have a good stake handy to thread thru the tape ... to hold them up ... after transplant shock ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I've bought plants like that, where they are really TALL and very LEGGY. But those have a great start, and they probably will come back shorter next season. Reason being... A lot of vendors will pack the plants in their growing area very tightly sometimes, because even they don't have infinate space, so they often will grow straight UP, because that's where the space is for the plants at that time. NOT a bad thing. For instance, I've gotten a good number of plants from Hallson Gardens and Green Mountain that are tall and leggy, and when they come up in my garden the next season, they will have more 'elbow room' so they explode OUTWARD. They are shorter, but not worse off at all, they are stockier, and more robust-looking, as opposed to leggy and 'gangly'. It all works itself out.

Those are nice plants you got! Watch 'em bust outwards next season! : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

They do look like divisions from a mature plant. If so, they'll take off a lot faster than a little TC starter, and you'll have that third plant in to time at all.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

They look like they were grown in MY garden,because that is how my plants grow all the time! I'll hafta check my garden today to see if any are missing! Lol! I don't have Blue Angels that tall,as they have never grown that well for me. Now,if you're talking sieboldianas,that is how they look every year! Phil