Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Let's look at the Ventricosa family

User
9 years ago

It seems everywhere I look, I see signs of VENTRICOSA. I like the cupie doll twirl of the leaf tip, and I'm seeing it on several of my hosta.

Can we sort out the real family members from those which have the twisted leaf tip but perhaps are not related?

Here is my definite quartet of ventricosa related hosta. They are all scaping and blooming at the same time, with the same sort of look to the flower buds.

Ventricosa itself, Holly's Dazzler (supposedly fragrant but blooms early), Stir Fry, and Ventricosa Aureomarginata

If you know of any others or some you have pictures of, please contribute. I'm seeing Ventricosa everywhere just now.

I see that Lakeside Black Satin is in the family

How about Lakeside Full Tide? Looks like it to me.
Taken today
{{gwi:1001247}}

Then Riptide has the cupie doll curl too. Although MYHOSTAS.BE quotes from a source which claims "a probable hybrid between H. pycnophylla and H. sieboldiana. "
I think it might be ventricosa

How about Irish Luck? Sure looks like the twisted tip to me.

You get the idea.
Ventricosa is credited with a long string of hybrids, and I recall Ken saying something about the DNA being quite dominant so its attributes come through. I know other hosta have a twisted tip too, but I'm seeing ventricosa everywhere!!!!

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:33

Comments (3)