Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What planting mix/soil for spin out bags?

Posted by patricia62 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 17:51

Like many here I have a root problem due to fir and maple trees. I have ordered spin out bags to save a good portion of hostas that have been struggling over the past years. I have had great success with pots, thanks to this forum's wisdom, but what mix do I fill these bags with? Should I treat them as a potted hosta or in ground plants? I have done a search and the answer to that question doesn't come up or I missed it. Thanks in advance.

Pat

P.S. I have been a lurker for years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What planting mix/soil for spin out bags?

Where did you get the spin out bags? I've never heard of them, and can't find a link to them. Bing search is coming up just about empty on this one! Could you please post a link?

o

I used half compost and half soil. My soil is sandy loam. If it was clay I might mix in some bark fines. You want it to drain well but it's not a hard walled container so you need to use some dirt.

The link for bags is below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Rose Distributing

o

Many thanks for the fast reply Steve. I do have a lot of clay so I will add the fines.

eahamel, I bought 5 gal bags (great price) from Wild Rose, but I was able to find 7gal bags, a middle size not available from above, at Horticultural Specialties( no link,sorry, but an easy google). I also bought their 10 gal bags as well, the price was about the same as Wild Rose. I figured I could try different sizes and see what happens over the next few seasons The price /shipping is not cheap but if this works I will be soooo happy. Here I come Sebright Gardens!!!!

Pat

o

Good luck! I ordered the bags but haven't used them yet. May we both win the battle of the tree roots.

Glad you asked about the mix. I'm planning to use the compost/soil mix with a bit of composted manure to get it nice and rich. The soil in the hosta bed is nice and black, but I'm afraid all the tree roots have sucked the nutrients out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here