Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet another sport! Nefertiti, this time...

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 17:53

I don't know how I missed this earlier in the season, but just noticed a couple of days ago that 1 of the eyes on Nefertiti was solid green. Here's Nefertiti:
20140517_173015.jpg

and here's the sport!
20140517_173149.jpg
I went ahead and split it off, since it was a greenie and I don't want it taking over my Nefertiti. This has defin been the year of sports for me! Hope they all make it. Cool...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet another sport! Nefertiti, this time...

N was a sport out of king tut.. go figure on that... lol .. those good old name games ...

which was a sport of tokudama aureonebulosa ...

which would make it a green toku ...

but it sure doenst look like it ... maybe it will grow into it ...

do you know how i did that.. thru the library??? .. and myhosta links??

ken

o

Good Lord, I would hope that I knew that! That's actually how I knew it was a sport and not a reversion--did my research first. It will be interesting to see how it grows. Right now, it looks like a dead ringer for Nefertiti in leaf form and veins, just a different color.

o

I'm not too sure I know how to tell if something is a sport or a reversion from studying HL and MYHOSTAS.BE but I'm trying.
I'll have to think about what you just said about King Tut, Nefertiti, and tokudama aureonebulosa.....which is a slow grower, and to me, the King Tut I got this spring is putting on the leaves and looking great. And gold.

I have a sport on something, another greenie too, but haven't tackled the breakup. I have had too much to take care of the last two weeks, and now I'm hauling pieces of a rotten pine cut down yesterday to make plant stands out of them. My body is tired all the way up to my brain. But I'll get "a round to-it" one of these days. :)

o

King Tut... not a sport of Tokudama Aureonebulosa, a hybrid, an OP seedling... A difference. Words mean things... ; )

Handsome-looking greenie, Funn.

Don B.

o

Thank you, Don, I did not do my homework and I appreciate your diligence.

World of difference in words.

I got King Tut and am dying to show his kiddie picture, can I do it now huh huh? It is a gorgeous hosta. I will have an update very soon. That really leafed out gold is KT. The other two golds are Fat Cat and Cadillac....which is variegated nicely.

Now I must check out why King Tut got into Nefertiti's threads.
:)

o

Looks like a party that Mister Watson should be stroooolllling in any moment.

Don B.

o

Oh yeah, when Dear Mr. Watson gets bigger, he'll be off the porch playing with the big golds.

o

don wins this round... i missed the hybrid word ..

it is not a green toku then ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here