Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you are potting a hosta temporarily...

Posted by bettylu_zone6a St. Louis, MO (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 17:54

I have about six bare root hosta babies that I am not ready to put into the hosta bed just yet, so I potted them up in a little bigger than 1 quart containers. I expect to plant within a month, but I need to rearrange the existing hosta and start purging the duplicates and the common ones to make room for these and others that have been in my holding area waiting to get a little more size. (I fault the enablers on this forum that keep posting more and more beautiful hosta pictures!)

The question is, does it really matter if you use soil instead of media for short term? (I don't grow my hosta in pots usually)

When I temporarily potted my new purchases last year I used my own soil with some nice amendments (vermicompost, cow manure compost, and leaf compost added) and the babies thrived just fine - and I didn't get them in the ground until late summer, but this year I did not have any compost ready and so I used Miracle Grow Garden soil instead.

They have been potted about a week now - do you think they are OK for another couple of weeks? Should I shake most of this soil off when I plant them and mix it with the soil in the hosta bed?

Suggestions?
BettyLu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you are potting a hosta temporarily...

I don't use soil in pots ever. It just doesn't drain well enough. Even in a few short weeks you could get root rot.

Steve

o
RE: If you are potting a hosta temporarily...

If the MG garden soil is like what I buy in bags (mine is another brand...cheaper) it has a lot of bark in it and will drain fine.
I grow a lot of hostas in pots and use 1/2 bagged garden soil and 1/2 soil conditioner. They grow beautifully.
I'm thinking yours should be fine for a few weeks.
Gloria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here