Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

If you are potting a hosta temporarily...

bettylu_zone6a
11 years ago

I have about six bare root hosta babies that I am not ready to put into the hosta bed just yet, so I potted them up in a little bigger than 1 quart containers. I expect to plant within a month, but I need to rearrange the existing hosta and start purging the duplicates and the common ones to make room for these and others that have been in my holding area waiting to get a little more size. (I fault the enablers on this forum that keep posting more and more beautiful hosta pictures!)

The question is, does it really matter if you use soil instead of media for short term? (I don't grow my hosta in pots usually)

When I temporarily potted my new purchases last year I used my own soil with some nice amendments (vermicompost, cow manure compost, and leaf compost added) and the babies thrived just fine - and I didn't get them in the ground until late summer, but this year I did not have any compost ready and so I used Miracle Grow Garden soil instead.

They have been potted about a week now - do you think they are OK for another couple of weeks? Should I shake most of this soil off when I plant them and mix it with the soil in the hosta bed?

Suggestions?

BettyLu

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia