Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

not hvx!

bkay2000
9 years ago

Now is the time of the year that we have lots of HVX alerts on this forum. Not every mottled plant has HVX. Those of us who don't have a lot of experience with HVX might refrain from telling stores they have diseased plants.

I've done that and had to eat my words. After Chris explained very carefully why what I was seeing was not HVX, I had to go back and tell that store manager that I was wrong.

What also happened is that Lowe's may have dumped a perfectly good supplier on what I had to say. That affects someone's livelihood and their employee's livelihood. Also, since then, Lowe's hasn't had any decent hosta in this area.

If the area surrounding the veins is the correct color, then the mottling is not a symptom of HVX, but of stress. You will notice that the area surrounding the vein is the correct color. If you look at the HVX infected hosta on the Hosta Library, you will notice that the veins are the wrong color. Below is the hosta that I threw a fit over. They called the supplier and made them pick them all up.

I'm just saying that sometimes we are sure of something we should not be so sure of.

bk

Comments (11)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Since I was one that posted an HVX alert, please let me try to explain what I saw. This is a picture from the Hosta Library of an HVX infected hosta.

{{gwi:1001605}}

The hosta that I referred to was a Francee, not a Gold Edger as in the picture. There were areas more concentrated than the areas shown and slightly more depressed. There was the mottled discoloration as well. There were these signs on at least ten hosta on the rack (I didn't check out all of them, there surely were more). The problem was on new growth leaves and old growth leaves.

Short of having a test kit handy I am positive it was HVX. If there was any doubt in my mind that it was not I would never have called it to their attention (as you did). I have studied a lot about this problem and posted a lot about it. I have been lucky that I have never experienced it, but you don't have to have HVX to be educated as to what to look for.

I would never have suggested that they had a problem if I wasn't sure. I was and am sure. Maybe the 3 for $10 would be a clue that there might be a problem, but I was ready to buy some of them and was not thinking to look for a problem. I know what I saw and it was a clear an indication of HVX that I have ever seen on this forum, in the Hosta Library or anywhere else.

I know you didn't single me out, but I was the first to post an alert and take offense at being lumped with those you sarcastically call 'lots of HVX experts on this forum'. Other than that your advice is good. If you are not sure, you certainly shouldn't panic or guess and you certainly shouldn't cause any business to suffer because of your mistake.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 21:52

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon, It wasn't you at all. I apologize if it came across that way. That was not my intent at all.

We've had two or three HVX alerts on the list in the last couple of weeks. They will pick up over the next few weeks. There will be so many that we're all seeing HVX everywhere. Even when it's not there.

I think that's where I was when I went into Lowe's and declared they had infected plants. I was so embarrassed when I found out that it wasn't true. I wouldn't want anyone else to make that mistake.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Thanks bk, I appreciate it.

Jon

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I was just looking at my Winter Snow and thought it might have HVX. I looked up where I got it and saw that it was purchased from Chris at Hallsons, so I went back and looked at it again.

NOT HVX. One thing to remember is the ink bleed emits FROM THE VEINS. Once I took a closer look, the color change was between the veins. I'm assuming that it's a little bit of frost damage, especially since it was on the tips of the leaves.

I remember your HVX experience at Lowes bk. Your warning is good, and Jon, I didn't think she was directing it at you in any way since I clearly remember how horrified she was to find out it wasn't HVX.

Gesila

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I think it's a good message to be careful either way. I'm glad there's people who take action when they see it. But it's easy to see something that's "off" and to be unsure.

In 2010 I got this Journey's End from a local nursery. I've seen workers going from plant to plant cutting off leaves that weren't good looking any more and thought if that happened in the hosta house, then I might have a lot of infected hostas. So I bought the Agdia test strips. I made three tests, one in Sept., one next May, and the final test the end of July..... All NEGATIVE. (YAY!:-)

It was in a lot of shade when it did this, so maybe that's why? I'll have to check on it later this year. The tree it was under is gone, so now it's probably going to fry.

This post was edited by sandyslopes on Mon, May 12, 14 at 3:49

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

This is an interesting thread....I have such mixed emotions and thoughts about it. BK, thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure you thought you were going the right thing completely...and even though you were wrong about the hvx, you WERE speaking up with the right intent.

When I read about store personnel taking swift action after a customer brings up an hvx concern, I am shocked. If I were the store owner/manager, I would not do that. I would remove the inventory from the shelf for the moment, and then call in some "experts" before taking further action. In short, I would educate myself.

I do not speak up in the stores. I simply do not buy where I "think" I see it. And I don't condemn box stores from one season to the next, as I do see that they often change growers and I have found some really lovely hostas at the stores. Usually, there's some small print on the label that says where the plant was grown and I make a mental note of it if I see signs of hvx...and then I just stay away for that year.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now, I did get a HVX infected plant in the summer of 2012. It showed no symptoms when I bought it. It was obvious pretty early 2013 that it had a problem. I tested it. It was positive. I complained to the seller, the grower and anyone who would listen.

I even tried to contact the Department of Agriculture. While on my search for the right group, the county agent said the D of A had no jurisdiction. I found out later that they were wrong, but I shouted it from the roof tops.

I was sure it had HVX. I had tested the plant. There are many ugly hosta that don't have HVX.

bk

HVX infected Royal Standard (no ink bleed)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

WOW!!! I would have bet money that Sandy's hosta had HVX. It looks like classic ink bleed to me. That one sure has me stumped. Goes to show we should proceed with caution.

I wish Chris would look at it, but I bet he's busy shipping out orders right now.

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

This goes another way. Do not throw hostas out of your garden because they seem to have HVX. Not only buying a new one, but also digging out the possibly HVX one, sterilizing tools, hosta real estate not usable, etc. is a lot of effort. When I see a leaf which might be HVX, then I test with that Agdia test kit to make really sure.
    Bernd

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

What I saw was not a false alarm, either. It was just mottling, it was full blotches on and all throughout white variegation. I asked if there was a hosta that was supposed to look like that and there was not. So just because I may be new to it doesn't mean I was "seeing it everywhere". Believe me, it's the last place I wanted to see it. Because previously they've had healthy and good hostas. I would have taken a new picture but they have gotten rid of them, evidently it turned out to be HVX. Because they were going to test them and find out for sure. I did have pics and I uploaded them to my laptop, but it broke and I lost them.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry your computer died. Photos are always helpful when dealing with HVX.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 20:51