Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta "Linda Sue"

Posted by jimr66 5b ON (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 17:57

2 years ago I bought a single " eye" Linda Sue.
Last year it had 3 eyes. I moved it to what I thought was a better spot (Little more shade morning sun, aesthetically better)
However this spring it has only 1 bullet. Are the Seiboldiana hostas more sensitive to tree roots than others? a H. "Northern Exposure" seems to suffering the same shrinkage
It's under a good sized Ranier cherry tree so there are a fair number of roots.
My other hostas (non Sieboldiana heritage) in the same garden are doing fine.

Cheers
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta "Linda Sue"

Van Wade is the originator of Linda Sue. He named it after his daughter. I remember seeing one in his gardens that was gigantic, not to mention breath-taking, and growing in full sun.

I knew I had Linda Sue, but didn't remember it looking anything at all like Van's. I came home dug it up from it's spot where it only received morning sun and put it in full sun.

Digging up a hosta and moving it can sometimes set it back. Seiboldiana hostas tend to be slow growers though.

Here's my 3 year old Linda Sue, it loves it's new spot in the sun.

photo LindaSue20130607_zps9f22883b.jpg

Gesila

o

Thanks for the reply gesila, I think I'll move it to a sunnier local. I know the "siebs" are slow, but I don't like seeing them regress I was worried about leaf burn (FW heritage)

o

What a beauty, Gesila! In your zone, that should be even better in full sun than in Ohio where Van Wade is growing his. And Ontario, even better for full sun. Sounds like a good move, JimR.

o

Wow, that's a real beauty! That could be one for my 'want to get' list. Thanks for that pic, Gesila.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here