Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Hosta 'Warpaint' this spring

in ny zone5
9 years ago

I have one hosta 'War Paint' which is coming out right now all corrugated and well 'painted'. I bought it in Sept. of 2012, and this spring is the first time I see it fully colored, though is still unfurling. Bernd

Comments (19)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Sooooo pretty!

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have also two 'War Paint' seedlings growing, they are now 2 years old. I bought the open pollinated seeds from Jim's Hostas in 2011, probally selfed. One seedling is a light to medium green, but this one is yellow. Both have the same leaf shape, but are not as puckered up yet than the probably 5 year old one in the first post because they are so much younger. A nicely puckered up yellow one of 'War Paint' size should be stunning. Bernd

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Another beauty, Bernd! Thanks for sharing :)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Beautiful, Bernd. Looks fantastic, and so do the seedlings.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

What an exciting looking hosta!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Oh, my! What an apt name for a hosta that looks like that. Colors and edges all in one!

-Babka

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

I just love the dramatic colouring, shape and form of this one! It's another member of a family that I covet!
    BC

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

On the list. Thanks Bernd.

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'War Paint' will turn green over summer though, but beautiful right now.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

True Bernd, but it's a 'Niagara Falls' lookalike then, so still pretty good, eh? : )

Don B.

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    9 years ago

Mine yesterday.
    4 years old but has suffered some wind and cold damage this spring.
    Still unfurling and I'm hoping it will look better in a few days time.

Dave

• in ny zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, yes it is from 'Niagara Falls'. I have to compare both in July. But 'War Paint' has this glorious month in spring. I noticed that 'War Paint' has no registered progeny, and there is no registered yellow progeny of 'Niagara Falls' so my yellow seedling might be something special. Today it was bigger again, going good. Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

A big, gold version of Niagara Falls will look really great.

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

War Paint was move to the new home where my tree peony died back to just the root and it never even set it back one bit. This is the 3rd year and will have to be my Niagara Falls until it grows big. Still unfurling. Love the spring colors too

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Just couldn't resist posting another picture of war paint today after the rain. Sun coming through in the east makes it shine

• User
    9 years ago

My word, Dave, your War Paint doesn't look damaged to me, but the leaves are so crinkled and corrugated and the color so painted on, who can tell.

I might be adding this one to an unexpected order before June starts. Along with Carnival. :)

All the plants here are beauties. Bernd, when your solid gold War Paint comes on, do you get to name it? Something like Goldfinger? Painted Lady? I'm such a sucker for golds. They do very well here too. Hope to see more of your seedling.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

fantastic 'War Paint' !!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

lovely!

I am suddenly craving a bacon, warpaint and tomato sandwich ...

dave

• User
    9 years ago

That does it. I'm a goner.
    Two more hosta moved up the WISH list to GET NOW, and that is Carnival and War Paint. I had no idea WP was of the Niagara Falls family. How nice.

My Hosta Finder is out in the garden on my potting table. I started out there with it early in the morning, but the fence guy came by and we took measurements for the 10 foot tall lattice screen/pergola they will build. It will be around the end of June when it is built. For that few weeks, I'm putting up the big umbrellas for shade. It is wonderful how all the gold hosta are behaving as the heat ramps up. But I give them a cool down shower with a gentle spray before the heat begins.

The screen/pergola will be 40 foot wide, almost perfect like a row of telephone poles with the crossbars on top and braces too, so the kiwi vines can climb. Don't think I'll do jasmine here, but it would make a nice evergreen shade (in our zone it is evergreen).

Toodles, you all. I'm headed outdoors to properly position the yella umbrella. And move hosta accordingly.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists