Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Finally did it!

bkay2000
9 years ago

I finally gave away some of my hosta. I want a Manhattan and a LS Cindy Cee, so I gave away Ann Kulpa and Wide Brim. I want to let go of a couple of more, and get those ordered before it gets too hot.

The first step is sometimes the hardest.

bk

Comments (7)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Oh, great post, bk...I'm on the same page right now! I want to give some to a friend of mine, and I keep going back and forth about which ones I can part with.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Give as if you if you are the recipient. Don't be chinchy ...

consider this, pay it forward ... encourage others to do the same ... not necessarily back to you ...

_~

dave b

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I have someone who I need to give some hostas to but can't decide which ones either.

I'm redoing two huge hosta beds this summer. I'm digging 25 of them up and replanting in Spin Out bags. I think I'll divide those up before replanting and give her pieces of those. I already knew that garden would be under construction this summer, so it won't make that much of a difference to me.

I almost threw my Wide Brim away a few years back. I'm so glad I kept it. It looked like carp for three years:

And then one day, I passed by it and didn't recognize it:

Manhattan and Cindy Cee are great choices. I have Manhattan but gave Cindy Cee to a friend whose first name is Cindy and last name starts with a "C".

Gesila

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still have a Wide Brim and 2 Frances Williams that I wouldn't mind parting with. I also have 2 So Sweets. I doubt I'll part with one of those, though.

bk

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I was just thinking of digging up Frances Williams and putting her in the park behind me. I haven't been able to find a So Sweet here in Michigan that wasn't infected with a virus.

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, good for you. Spread the joy. Get more hosta!

I am so pleased with my Manhattan which I got last year. It looks like a totally different plant this spring, but a lighter green than it will assume as the season goes by. Right now it has a pot full of fire ants who considered it a haven from the rains. Now I'm killing them, a HUGE MOUND raised half way up the petioles, before I attempt to repot it.

I had Manhattan in the largest and tallest/deepest pot from Lowes, and I think the roots are down to the bottom. Even with ants, the plant is lovely.

You will enjoy that hosta. I don't have CindyCee, not in my sights so far. I have enough to deal with now, maybe another lifetime worth.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have ants in my pots, too. I don't think they are fire ants, though. They are too small. They are also dark, almost black - not red at all. I dumped one and washed out all the soil (can't remember which one, but it was one with a lot of winter damage) and repotted it. Now, I think I'll get some ant bait and hope that works rather than repotting.

I have two Frances Williams. One I bought when sport fishing. I was thinking about giving away one or the other. Neither one has desiccation this year, so far. Wouldn't you know it? (I hate those brown spots!)

bk