Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concerned about hosta

Posted by Pippers 4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 18:18

This one has been taking longer than the others this year, and just noticed the bumpy leaves. Im not really seeing any bleeding, but im curious what others think. It's still slowly blooming yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concerned about hosta

Also, it did just rain 15 mins ago. So some wet spots exist.

o

My hostas are much more bumpy this year. I wouldn't worry about yours.

Gesila

o

That looks like normal corrugation to me.

BUt, it could also have been nipped by frost.

o

Thank you!

o

It looks like normal puckering to me,also! Phil

o

Some of them get puckerier (is that a word?) and bumpier as they get older. Maybe it's just growing up.

Sandy

o

You are in zone 4, the leaves are still small and just unfurling. I would wait until June to be concerned about anything. I love hostas with puckered leaves, they have substance and are interesting. Some of my hostas also have leaves with imperfections, like some animal ate off the tips, no problem here, that is nature!
Bernd

o

Some hosta are supposed to have leaves that are nice and flat while others are supposed to be very heavily corrugated/bumpy. When you buy a young hosta of one that will be corrugated when mature, it will have smooth leaves until it gets established and grows into maturity. Sometimes the corrugation does not start showing up for years.

If you keep track of the names of the hosta you have you can check photos online and see the differences between young and mature plants. Leaf textures, colors and shapes can change as they mature.

When a hosta is opening the leaves it is unfurling. After it sends up a scape(flower stem) it will be blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here