Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Golden Meadows starting Its Show

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

If you were to describe Golden Meadows to someone who hadn't seen it - what color is it?....well it starts with a white center that goes cream, yellow, misted with green, green, then dark green -- while the border is green but sometimes looks bluish and then back to green and then really dark green -- oh, and it also wavy crinkled and distorts a bit and sort of upright -- oh it has a third color that streaks into the center as well...whewww.

Mine is just unfurling, but the first leaf today was really nice.

Please share your Golden Meadows pics in all their variations.

Thanks for taking a look.

Paul

Comments (36)

• User
    11 years ago

Don't have it, but I sure liked your 'Ode To Golden Meadows.'
    Quite poetic. Right up there with, "how do I love thee, let me count the ways..."

BTW, is this one related to Wheee! They'd make a nice pair side by side. Your Golden Meadows is one I'll be researching for the 2013 list.

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

There is so much going on with that hosta. It looks really great.

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Oh my....... that is breathtaking!

Alexa

• luckykat13
    11 years ago

This was taken yesterday. He is quickly becoming my favorite.

• Beachygirl
    11 years ago

Beautiful photography! How to take pix like that?

• User
    11 years ago

LuckyKat13 what is that blackish blue mulch you have? It is absolutely perfect with hosta, especially the blue ones.
    Sets them off perfectly.

Up until now, Golden Meadow was a town on LA-1 in south Louisiana, and I passed thru it on my way to work. Now it can be a more pleasant association. Easy to see how it could become a favorite.

On the 2013 list it goes.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couple more pics at diff coloring (June and August 2011)-

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, is that last picture of the totally green and very ruffled plant the same GOLDEN MEADOWS? Wow! It looks like an Embroidery twin! But right in the heart of it, more plain flat leaves.

Oh definitely gotta try one of those. With ruffles like that, it's a real girly hosta.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

It must be your climate,because mine has already faded to almost solid green,but it comes up similar,though mine is a lot younger. Beautiful example of that plant! Phil

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Moccasinlanding - yes 2011 pic of same plant (all the spirea behind it were ripped out last year to make room for.......hosta).

Here's another set of progression pics from 2010 - same plant
    {{gwi:1002240}}

3 eyes in 2009, 6 in 2011, 8 this year so progressing well.

Paul

• franknjim
    11 years ago

How long does it keep the pretty coloration? It really is stunning.

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Amazing how they differ!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both for adding your GMs.

Last progression of pics (3 stacked photos) were dated 5/22, 6/4, and 7/26. Though, Phil mentioned his were changing faster - so light, heat, or something else may affect how long keeps its lighter color.

Paul

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Another thing,Paul. My GM has been up probably two months before yours. It doesn't keep that light coloring long here,and especially this year,with the weird weather! Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Paul,I found a pic of my GM from back in April. It's the one in about the center of the pic. Still only one eye this year,but it is a large plant,though not as old as yours. Take a look. It doesn't look that way now. Phil

{{gwi:1002242}}

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Orig pic

...and color 20 days later....

Paul

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Paul, that very last pic is really stunning! Got to go check this one out.

• on_greenthumb
    11 years ago

Found it!!! LOL saw these pics and went immediately to find it.....hosta fever!!!

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

Golden Meadows is one of my absolute favorites. It gives June a run for the money for spring beauty.

It gets a little darker than this, but it hasn't turned green for me since it was a baby.

• coll_123
    11 years ago

I added it last year and am enjoying it. Even when it darkens, it's still an interesting hosta. How big is a mature one, does anyone know (or have one?)

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

'Golden Meadows' can get quite large if given room to grow. Would say ours is 2ft+ wide.

It is a hosta that gets a lot of attention when we have visitors in the gardens.
    'Tickle Me Pink' is the yellow in corner of pix.

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Forgot to attach photo! 'Golden Meadows'

• luckykat13
    11 years ago

And here it is a month later :) This could go on all season. I can't get enough of this guy.

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

This just got bumped to #1 on my wish list! Now I'm on the hunt!!! :)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pic of color progression.

20 days ago

...and today.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, I must say that you single-handedly sold a bunch of Golden Meadows with this thread. I bought one, could not resist.

I'm observing the dynamics of the forum on the sale of hosta. I betcha one reason the Google bots sniff around the Hosta Forum more frequently than they do other GWeb places is the net results to their retail clients. I can see the name of a hosta and wonder if it is available (before I got the Hosta Finder publication), and go immediately google it, and so many times lately, I see that it has at the top of the search results posts from GW Hosta Forum. Within like 15 minutes of it being posted. Now THAT is very responsive. And it does not happen to all websites, that quick uptake, it has to do with $$$$$$. My boss always told me, "Follow the money."

You can test this out and probably find your last post with those gorgeous photos is sitting at the top of a Google search for Golden Meadows Hosta. Note that I made the connection to sales when I tried to order Color Revolt from Jim's Hostas, and he wrote back that for whatever reason he had a "run" on his stock of that hosta, and he was fresh out, did not know what did it. Well, I think I know. :)
    It's GWeb Hosta Forum!!!!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saw one on tour with a much bigger leaf - looked very nice.

Here is 30 days from last pic. Trying to imagine what it will look like when # of division double.

Paul

• coll_123
    11 years ago

I think that looks gorgeous, Paul. Glad I picked that one up last year. I also look forward to it's maturity.

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Paul that is a fantastic display and documentation.

Another one SOLD !!!! (I'm at over 40 new Hosta so far for 2013 . . . yikes)

Thanks for enabling :)

Ludi

• chris-e
    11 years ago

Why do you do this to us? : )
    I am going to buy this plant and break my promise again.

What kind of light do you have it in? I know MN and MD are quite different, but just so I can get an idea.

chris

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Planted on north edge of an Amur Maple so part shade.

Paul

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

This is at the top of my wish list!!!! I LOVE this one!!! thanks for the progression of pics!!! LOVELY!!!

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Love it!! So glad I got it on the auction from Naylor about a month ago!

Deanna

• User
    11 years ago

Deanna, that is where I got mine too. My eyes almost bugged out when I casually dropped by the auction just to look, and after all the furor over Golden Meadow, there it was. I held my breath until the auction closed that somehow I'd lose it.

I noticed this morning that the middle white is quickly turning to a sort of fresh green, although the pattern is still visible. No way could I describe this plant except with "indescribably beautiful."

The plant markers I ordered came, and I used the 15 inch tall spikes. Well, I see they will be too short for some, including this one. So I order more 20 inch spikes.

Really, I hesitate to tally how much of my allowance has gone into hosta alone, not including other plants and garden materials. It does keep me out of trouble, and keeps my mind off remodelling the kitchen--much to my DH's delight.

• peggy_hosta
    11 years ago

Out of curiosity, why causes a plant, and in this case Golden Meadows, to change throughout the season? Does chlorphyll relocate to different parts of the leaves?
    Peggy

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Radical transformation doesn't begin to describe this plant !