Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_lady

mutant hosta? where did I go wrong?

old_lady
14 years ago

I divided a hosta last spring. All of the divisions are doing fine except one. I have added the photos, I hope this works. I took the first two photos May 12, and then I noticed it flowered so I took more photos May 29th. The photo in the middel is the origianl mama. The last photo is a picture of the top of the "mutant" it is like a spiral with tiny buds (the dark spots)around the center spiral. Any comments would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments (20)

• donrawson
    14 years ago

Did you make a cross with a palm tree???

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Maybe it's in love with a lily. Your first pic reminds me of those plants that dance to music/noise from the 80's.

Paul

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Holey moley, what IS that???

• maidofshade
    14 years ago

Did you ever see Little Shop of Horrors?! :O
    I think it is called a leafy bract or something like that, can't remember exactly but I have had something like this happen with a Frosted Dimple Hosta, I have also heard of people trying to get that top to root. Maybe someone with a better memory will stop in with the correct term. Looks pretty gnarly though doesn't it.......

• davej_07
    14 years ago

Braciated scape......or at least I think thats what it was called. I usually just cut them off so the plant doesnt waste energy on it instead of setting roots.

Dave

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

It's not a mutant. This is a very common occurance called a "fasciation." It is most often caused by a hormone imbalance, bacteria or other problem. It is not contagious and probably will not occur next year.

To read more about it, follow the link.

Lainey

Here is a link that might be useful: Fasciation

• hostarhodo
    14 years ago

I had a Mount Tom Hosta that did the same thing. The next year it was back to normal and now is growing like crazy. Best it has ever been.

Betty

• old_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the responses. I went to the Fasciation web site and it looks like a good explanation, thanks. How do you guys find the time to read all this wonderful info and plant/take care of your hostas :)

• jel48
    14 years ago

Wow! I'd just say take lots of photos and enjoy it for the oddity it is. It's quite an amazing looking plant.

• pzelko
    14 years ago

It will probably suck all the energy out of the "little" plant underneath, I would cut it off (just my thought). If the plant was larger, it could probably handle the stress of all those flowers, but that plant is tiny. and it is Fasciation. hundreds of flowers. looks cool, but not good for the plant.

is that an albo marginata? if it is, I would just let it bloom to see how it looks!! those hosta are over productive Momas lol

Paul

• shadara
    14 years ago

How cool is that?!?!?

If I were you, I'd be proud and a little worried. I'm with jel48. Take lots of pics then try to fix it as others suggested.

It's awesome-looking, but let's not kill the whole plant trying. But I dun know squat about hostas yet...

~perpetual hostaholic knowledge seeker

• hostarhodo
    14 years ago

A few years back I bought a hosta like that. Planted it and it was back to normal the next year. Don't even remember which one it was.

Then my Mount Tom did the same thing, even though it looked normal when I bought it. Now it is growing like crazy and beautiful.

I say do not cut your plant, let it do its own thing and, let it die back in the fall, and I bet in the spring you will have a normal looking plant. (But who wants normal) We are all looking for that something different, so enjoy your plant this year and treat it as an experiment, nature will take care of the rest.

Betty

• old_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked up the old, old tag from that plant and I believe it is a fortunei albomarginata. Today there are a lot more open flowers, it looks quite nice in an odd way. I will not cut it down/back I have plenty of the albomarginata's so if it doesn't make it, so be it. There will be a retail sale at Fourth Generation Nursery in Mendon MA on the 13th I will just have to get more hostas!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

I looked up the old, old tag from that plant and I believe it is a fortunei albomarginata.

It's kinda early for any Fortunei to be blooming, I suspect it'll prove to be Undulata Albomarginata. Check the back of the leaves, if those are glossy it's Undulata, if they're glaucous/whitish dull they'll be Fortunei.

Pieter

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Might be Ginko Craig - mama plant looks similar.

Paul

• slp0100
    14 years ago

I have had a handful of Undulata Albomarginata go mutant on me this spring. We have had a very cool spring here in MN, could that play into? They were also all split last year. I have been cutting it out.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

On the Rose Forum, we call that a "standard".

• old_lady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is for "paul in mn" I have PhotoShop Elements - this is what I do when I'm not planting mutant hostas. I agree is does look like thoses old Dancing Flowers!

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Wonder if I'll have dreams or nightmares tonight - lol. Perhaps a grass skirt and uke - sort of thinkin' hula now.

Thanks, I love it.

Paul

• tepelus
    13 years ago

That photo is so funny!

Karen