Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steeltowninwv

pics of my hostas and questions for u

steeltowninwv
9 years ago

here are pics of my newly started hosta beds..along with some other pics from around the yard...question is..i have no idea what kind of hostas I have....anyone help with that?..also how big will they get?...all of them come from a friend..he gave me big hostas and I divided them into smaller ones before planting...they have already probably growed 4x the size when I planted them about a month ago or so....I really wanna get some other varieties that are easy to grow and fast growing...so any advice there would be nice as well

hosta bed

first type hosta I have...I have about 8 of these planted
{{gwi:1002580}}

2nd type..have 2 of these
{{gwi:1002581}}

3rd type..have 1 of these
{{gwi:1002582}}

plenty of room here for some other varities

ditch lilies behind the outhouse..some people call these trash ..but one of my favorites

small bed that gets full sun

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

What a great gardening site! Your beds are so clean and ready for hosta, it would be a shame not to fill them UP!

I cannot estimate the varieties you have, not enough experience.
    Tell us, were any there in the garden when you first bought the house? Did you purchase those locally from a nursery or an individual with lots of hosta, or from eBay or online? Knowing where they came from can give a clue to ID.

Glad you enjoy hosta gardening. Your climate should be perfect for most any variety.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Hostas come in all sizes and I love those I've planted here in my CT garden beds. They have NOT, however, behaved as consistently as I envisioned they would when I planted them 7+ years ago. All were well-behaved until last year which was exceedingly wet where I am. Most of my named hosta cultivars grew to twice the size of previous years. I hadn't planned on them doing that nor had I anticipated it when spacing them.

In short, they became monstrous in size. This year they bid well to do the same. I love how lush they are but must be honest and say it's just not the look I was originally going for!

Others on this forum may be able to help you ID the plants in the above photos. I'm no hosta expert and am familiar only with those I purchased and planted in my garden beds once I'd 1) imagined; & 2) designed how they'd look.

My full shade bed w/H. Krossa Regal, Regal Splendor (in the center), Dream Weaver, Revolution, Frances Williams, Touch of Class, Tokudama flavocircinalis, Queen of the Seas
    {{gwi:198699}}

Left - same bed later that season, with Dream Weaver beginning to spill over the walkway
    {{gwi:212016}}

Left - same bed, closer view
    {{gwi:196299}}

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

none here when I moved in...got almost all of them from a friend...the green and gold one I got from wal mart

and if it matters im in west virginia

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

None here when I moved in either. There were only weeds, grass & discarded bits of junk. I just had a picture in my head of how I wanted my garden to look. Then I drew it on paper and started digging...

Word to the wise: I'm still digging. ;-p

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

1. Halcyon
    2. Francee
    3. Frances Williams

Check for the photos at the Hosta Library and see how they compare with your plants. They are oldies but goodies and readily available.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Is that Outhouse functional?

BTW, I love your garden including the Steeler's rock and the Misacanthus variegata. Babka is right on the identifications. But you need more plants. Stick around and take a look at the pictures. You'll find ones you like.

Maybe this one:

Dancing Queen.
    {{gwi:1002587}}

Steve

• steeltowninwv
    Original Author
    9 years ago

babka I think ur spot on...thanks

steve_mass outhouse is not functional..lol..just decorative piece..
    that dancing queen is nice..i like the golds..we are going to a couple nurseries tomorrow hope to find a few I like...