Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coll_123

Screaming for attention

coll_123
9 years ago

Nothing commands attention in my garden the way the Spring colors of Liberty do- it's like a beacon across the yard. But today I looked up and saw that Golden Meadows, up there on the hill, is making a bid for flashiest of the Spring....gonna be interesting watching them duke it out over the next years.

p.s. I'm still worried about the smaller than normal leaves on Liberty but is seems to be getting a little better.

Who is your "look at me!" hosta of the Spring?

Comments (19)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

That's some pretty good flash there Coll! In my garden, at the moment anyway, it's JUNE FEVER calling LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I agree Colleen that Liberty and Golden Meadows are very flashy hostas.

For me, my "look at me" spring hosta is Grt. Ex. in a pot.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Wed, May 21, 14 at 0:05

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Coll,
    I have a few to nominate since I still gravitate towards bold and flashy! (though I'm acquiring a growing appreciation of smoother, more mellow and subtle colouration)
    First up is Autumn Frost. The bright, attention grabbing colours remind me of a downsized Liberty, in that they still pack a powerful punch!

In a few years, I think this one will be a spring standout, as so many others have commented. My War Paint needs to complete his training however, before he is ready for battle! Maybe in a few yearsâ¦

I am enjoying the spring yellows. I really like Nancy, but again IâÂÂve got a small plant. Instead, IâÂÂll show two others. I've had On Stage for a while, but it has suffered several setbacks over the years. Seems to be recovering nicely, and very vibrant this spring.

Finally, a recently purchased Dancing Queen ticks most of my boxes with regards to attention grabbing, first glance characteristics!

BC
    P.S. Sorry to read about your Hosta woes! Even with a second Remember Me in the wings, I can understand your sense of loss. Looking for the positive, the extra space will allow you an opportunity to make some new selections, or acquaintances! (I've already reached âÂÂFull Houseâ status. In fact, my wife thinks this point was reached and even exceeded a long time ago!)

• User
    9 years ago

First up this year was Lionheart. I had no idea the boy could look like that. It continues with the white center and the frilly margins.
    This shot April 21, a month ago

Then Sea Gulf Stream wowed me with the yellow

Of course, Squash Casserole looks charming with the golden spread she puts on...so much bigger this year too
    Today

and Yesterday's Memories, a sport of Squash Casserole, it now has 9 scapes all purple and fine, and it is in sun until 2pm but I'm going to move it tomorrow just in case, before it burns.
    Taken yesterday, how appropriate!

Johnny Angel, another gold which gets morning sun and is about as yellow gold as can be, with some bumps on the leaves and this is his second year here....Amazing hosta.

Remember when I saw this and it set me back on my heels? It is of course Autumn Frost and I simply had not noticed it before! Lovely attention getter.

Among my fragrant hosta, one that is totally head and shoulders above the others is Doubled Up. It is a tall dark and handsome plant, and will later on have six inch blooms, which it had last year so nicely....not finicky like some others.

and the best shot of the bloom size from last year. If you want to see big blooms, I totally recommend you get Doubled Up
    {{gwi:1002705}}

• Gesila
    9 years ago

What a crazy spring. Some of my hostas only started emerging this week. I thought my Golden Meadows was a goner but four tiny tiny pips popped up. I got it out of the pot today and planted it in the ground. It didn't suffer from crown rot, but those roots were awfully soggy.

Who could walk by Dawn's Early Light in the spring?

Gesila

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

I WANT THEM ALL!!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I posted the same pic earlier this month, but so far it's still Golden Meadows screaming 'Look at me'...

Don B.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

Wow - so many beautiful hostas! Those Autumn Frosts keep calling my name. I thought I got one last year, and wondered why mine didn't look like that. Duh...suddenly occurred to me that I'd gotten First Frost. It's OK, but doesn't compare, especially since I love wide yellow margins.

That Dawn's Early Light is a real "Wow!" and so is Lionheart. That June Fever is something else! I have one that was new last year, but it's still a baby.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

For me, this year, it's Dixie Cups. This one has me staring every day.

Here's a pic earlier in the season of it unfurling

and later on

the cupping is just gorgeous! It has gotten more pics taken than anyone else!

Pics above are when the sun is kissing it. Look at how blue it is when the shade hits.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:35

• luuk
    9 years ago

This spring I heard Great Escape screaming ... I just can not stop my fascination ... finally she begins to have a decent size in its third year.

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

In Zone 5 Ontario there are some that are still just barely breaking ground and some that are leafing out, but a couple in my garden are just "Screaming for attention" The one that stands out with the yellow edge is Ivory Coast

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Jag, I'm loving your Ivory Coast, how old is it and what kind of sun does it get? What kind of sun does it get. Mine is still only 2 small eyes, it's not growing like my Liberty or Majesty. I might have to move it.

Gesila

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

I seem to have forgotten how to post multiple pictures. A closer view of Ivory Coast

• User
    9 years ago

Jag, multiple pictures is with an outside source like photobucket or flickr. With the GWeb uploader, (browse button above), you only have one shot per post. The benefit of that is, you picture never goes away, like it can if you move the photo or delete your account with Photobucket or Flickr.

Well, I reckon you had to notice Ivory Coast. It is doing everything except jump up and down for attention. It is a beauty. What a great yellow gold those big margins are too.Quite a color combination.

MBug, steady there, the thread is not complete. All the low zone numbers are not checked in yet....I'm sure there will be a LOT more making up for lost time.

• kalija
    9 years ago

OOOH, now I want a Sea Gulf Stream and a Yesterdays Memories... where to put them all! You all have lovely gardens.
    I finally got my camera working... I am going to have to go with Ivory Coast also - love yours, Jag. Here is mine today....
    {{gwi:1002713}}

But a close second is Lakeside Surf Rider - he is really coming along right now.

And finally, Regal Splendor - looking like a king on his throne.

• dg
    9 years ago

Oh my, beautiful Lion Heart and Dawn's Early Light! Ivory Coast and June Fever are lovely, loud and proud ;-) Also, Great Expectations seems to be calling my name...

My small newbie 'Fire and Ice' is one that is screaming from my garden:

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Great Expectations is a real beauty for me (due to its colors and size) so I posted it above. Great Arrival is definitely a standout this year. It happens to be a GE sport.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Found the very pastel shades on my unfurling 'Deliverance' to be attention-grabbing.

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

So far...
    {{gwi:976020}}
    First Frost

June
    {{gwi:1013959}}
    Fire Island

Queen Josephine is coming along nicely with her lovely shine.

Stiletto - a favourite of mine.

I just reread the post and was I only supposed to pick one??? Oops

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:44