Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

H. 'Sparkler'

Just picked this little Mother's Day beauty up at Humber Nurseries on Thursday, among other things :-)

One of my daughters and I celebrated Mother's Day early. Spent 2 hours browsing and chilling out in all the greenhouses - amazing how serene one feels after that kind of botanical exposure - followed by dinner out and an extraordinarily perfect Bloody Caesar!

So, back to my little Sparkler! I was waffling between Mimi Skirt, Sparkler and another new mini. The dark green/blue long leaves finally won me over. (It actually screamed at me to come over, lol) The bright green inner variegation is just starting to get more pronounced.

Is anyone growing this cutie? How is it growing for you? Are you as enamoured as you were when you first got it?

Please post your photos and I welcome any comments you may have. Thank you,

Jo.

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, Jo, I have a Sparkler. It is in fact my #200 hosta and it came to me in 2012 from Naylor Creek.
    {{gwi:1002782}}

I have a picture of its 4 eyes taken on April 2, 2014, but it looks so forlorn, I'll try to get a new shot of it tomorrow. I thought I'd taken that shot already, but poor baby got overlooked with all the big fragrant hosta around it.

It is not the fastest multiplier in the garden. If you notice though, it happened to be in one of those poorly draining pots, and that I found is at the root of most problem hosta in my garden....sitting with water in the bottom 2 inches of the pot.

Happy Mother's Day. Good to have the children come around.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

The more the hosta pips in my garden unfurl, the more certain I am that the mass of dead roots with the top chopped off is the remains of MY beloved Sparkler. I will have to order another. Darn, that was one of my absolute garden favorites!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry, Esther! :-(. Is there still hope that the dead one could be something else?

This was pricey in Canada $28+, 13% tax on top of that! It is so different from my other minis. I'm glad I chose it.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

JOSEPHINE,

Everything else seems to be accounted for. All the pips have grown enough that I can see they are not Sparkler. I can't even find Sparkler's stake and I.D. tag. This is a result of me having to move my hosta garden because of the vindictive co-op manager, and then having to transplant all my hostas to another garden patch in the front yard.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

moc ... no. 200 ... in 2012 ... you slacker!

that must mean you have equally as many pots ...many heavy ... my back hurts just thinking of that!

dave

• User
    9 years ago

Bragu, you've heard of going from zero to sixty in 10 seconds? Going from 10 to 200 in a period of a few months was equally exciting with my hosta. But I did not stop with 200.

You are so right, the pots....ah my aching back.....they are close to 500 now, and I have 2 dollys and 1 wagon and a wheelbarrow. And a bunch of pots standing by because they seem to mostly get bigger and bigger. :)

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Just ordered a new Sparkler & a little friend for it--Country Mouse--today, from Hostaguy Rob Mortko. They will ship tomorrow.

Can you believe I STILL have not HEARD FROM or RECEIVED FROM Casita Azul? Boy, this is the first and LAST time I ever order from that lot!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Don't blame you, Esther. Don't blame you at all.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Esther, I look forward to getting introduced to your new Sparkler! I sincerely hope you will have a wonderful growing season, uneventful as far as shananigans go! You've had enough to contend with.

I hope you just get to relax and enjoy the beauty, the result of all that hard work. :-)
    Jo

• esther_b
    9 years ago

So Don, what would YOU do regarding Casita Azul? I told them our frost-free day is May 7. That would mean, at least to a logical mind, that you could ship before May 7 so the stuff would arrive by May 7. It's now past May 7, and there is no delivery and not even the COURTESY to let me know what's going on.

Contrast that to Rob Mortko of Hostaguy. I ordered a new Sparkler last night and a little friend for it, Country Mouse. He sent me a Paypal invoice right away and then an email telling me he'd ship them today.