Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar and Cream - What do I do?

Posted by bkay2000 8a TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 18:57

This has developed in the last few days. It's possible that the pecan beards stuck in there are causing this, but all the hosta have them stuck in there. (They don't come out easily.) I bought S&C at the end of the season last year from Dallas' premier nursery. This is the largest of three eyes. The mottled leaves are all on that same eye. It's in well drained potting soil. It's on pot feet. We haven't had excess rain.

Is the mottling something to be concerned about? It's not on the other two eyes of this plant. It's not on the other Sugar and Cream or the other Plantaginea offspring.

bkay

Sugar and cream

Sugar and Cream 2

Sugar and Cream 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar and Cream - What do I do?

Could be petiole rot.

The disease fungus produces small round fungal fruiting structures about the size of mustard seeds that appear at the base of the infected petioles. These structures, called sclerotia, are a cream color when young, but then progress to a dark, brick red color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Petiole Rot

o

Oh yeah, I had that once on my albomarginata. When I took it out of the pot and pulled it apart, I saw that white stuff. I washed it and repotted it (2 pots) in new soil. It's fine.

It was huge and old and very thick. I attributed the growth of the bacteria to too heavy soil and being really crowded. This one's not crowded. It's not in heavy soil, as I just potted it up in my homemade mixture late last summer.

Well, whatever. I have another one (it was a gift this spring). My inclination is to toss the diseased one. (Both came from the same grower, or, at least have the same tag.) I'm short on space and don't need two of these. The second inclination is to clean it up and repot it and give it away. Could I just excise that eye and repot it, or will I have to wash it down to the roots like I did the albomarginata?

bkay

o

I'd give it a bleach and water bath to kill any nasties.

Steve

o

i would just yank it out of there.. the single stem i mean ..

but i dont deal with a lot of crown rot ... but for severe drought

its more of a 'down south' problem [and that would loosely translate into hot muggy nights] ... hence one of its names is southern blight.. i think ..

the splotchies ... fast growth in spring..

ken

o

It's not rot. The roots are firm and firmly attached. There is none of that white "beady stuff".

What was unusual was a "worm" in the soil. It's about an inch long and a little bigger than a hair. They're light brown and move quickly.

Is it anything you know about? Any suggestions for search terms?

bkay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here