Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Pretty hosta in pic

kentstar
9 years ago

What is the name of the hosta in the forum page? Up at the top right? So pretty! i wouldn't mind buying one! lol

Comments (15)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful 'Liberty' specimen up there, Kent.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Kent, you should be able to find one readily since Liberty was registered in 2000, and was Hosta of the Year (HOTY) in 2012.

It is said not to be a fast grower. When it gets to size, you will have a hosta to be proud of.

It sported from this plant, Sagae, another strong hosta.
    Mine is about 3 years growing after I got it from the seller, Naylor Creek Nurseries.

This picture in April shows the parent Sagae front left, and Liberty in the middle, the one with all the creamy margins.
    {{gwi:1003251}}

Note while I got both at the same time, Sagae is larger.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

The photo was taken by "Wendy", I believe. We voted on it here and it was chosen to replace the previous photo of h. Mountain Snow. It was selected as a posthumous tribute to a wonderful Canadian hosta gentleman nicknamed Papou, who carefully measured and documented his plants for us over several years, because it was his favorite hosta.

And now you know the rest of the story. ;-)

-Babka

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Oh, Babka, you have no idea what relief of mind you have just given me. When I first started on the board, I read a post (must have been an older one, but didn't realize that the pic had changed at the time) saying that the hosta at the top was Mountain Snow. Then about 6 months later, someone asked the same question in real time and it was answered Liberty. Well, I just knew I had read something different in a previous post, not Liberty, so I spent more time than I'll admit to going back and trying to find that other post that I had read. Couldn't ever find it, because I couldn't remember the exact wording or the name Mountain Snow (kept thinking it was Winter something-or-other). I grudgingly let it go and thought, well, I guess I'm just crazy. But, everytime this topic came up over time, I would think about that original post that apparently my mind just dreamed up. Looks like I wasn't crazy after all! I must have just read a post that was pre pic-change. Thank you so much for the explanation and my sanity back (however temporary that may be!)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Funn, we discussed it for a while. We wanted to use Papou's photo of Liberty, but could not find a way to get permission from his family. No known email addresses worked. We tried snail mail as well (We... meaning Steve), but could not get it done.

So, Steve posted this one.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I'm glad you added that, BKay, because it cleared up a question for me too. I was trying to recall where I saw the most gigantic Sagae or Liberty in the WORLD, and I could not find it. I looked everywhere. Except, I now realize it was probably Papou's website where I saw it, his photo albums.

My presence on the forum (I've been a GWeb for a number of years) began in late 2011, I think, and I recall discussion about the change and finding Papou's pictures or relatives. Which is how I followed a link to his albums. So the timing for such a chain of events is correct.

I like to know the whole story.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Am I mistaken that it is Wendy's photo that is pictured on the forum?

I go back far enough to remember when Papou joined the forum and was first planting his gardens. He constantly asked questions to Hank Zumach who started us all counting eyes and taking measurements. Lordy, that was before Ken! I do believe I have been here way too long.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Actually, I think it's Papou's photo. I believe it's the one from photobucket. I don't know for sure and am not asking any questions.

It could be Wendy's photo. Hers was an excellent specimen and the best photo that was submitted, in my opinion.

I can't find those hosta photos on photobucket right now to compare.

Maybe it's one of those things that should be left alone.

bk

• kentstar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I know now what one to buy next lol!

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, I googled Papou and hosta and found the link below to Photobucket photos. I haven't finished looking for the Sagae photos to verify they were his, but I'm hoping.

The link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou on Photobucket still

• User
    9 years ago

And, here is his 2008 photo. I have not compared it.

I hope this is alright. If not, I will remove it.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Not the same one.

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, then all is well. And I'm now adding the Photobucket link to them for a slideshow. Don't know which pictures this includes, but he sure has some fine ones.

I saw mention of several hosta that we've had questions concerning the last few days. Like Chantilly Lace. On Stage. Niagara Falls. Many many fragrants. (Not So Sweet as far as I saw.)

He had a list of 150 hosta he recommended for a newbie hosta gardener in 2008. What interested me was how cutting edge he was, apparently, because almost all I consider current things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou slideshow on Photobucket

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

In light of all this, I never knew this gentleman, but a hosta cultivar named H. 'Papou' would certainly not be out of line here. Sounded like an excellent fellow, and a true lover of hostas.

Don B.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I remember his posts, his photos and sharing his wealth of knowledge. When he passed, someone suggested we all find a Liberty and plant it in remembrance of Papou. I did just that and my Liberty positively sings in its location. So glad to have interacted with this genuine hosta lover, even if only by forum.