Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w3csx

My collection of mice.

w3csx
9 years ago

I'm starting what I hope to be a monthly photo essay of my Mouse Ears. Right now I have 19 varieties planted in the back yard. I'm hoping to gauge how the colors change through out the session as it progresses. I'm just below the Mason-Dixon line in the Northern Maryland area. Most of my Hostas started to unfurl about two weeks ago.

First up to the plate. The grand daddy of them all.
Blue Mouse ears. This clump was planted in 2011.

Comments (30)

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frosted Mouse Ears. Planted in 2012

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy Mouse Ears Planted in 2012

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Love this one.....it is the only mouse I have. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection.
    Jan

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Green Mouse Ears. Planted in 2012. For some reason this is coming up much curlier then in has been in years past.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Royal Mouse Ears. Planted in 2012 (Yes, I know I have to redo the tag)

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Calico Mouse Ears. A 2013 planting.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mighty Mouse. From 2012

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pure Heart. A reversed variegation sport of Mighty Mouse. So far this is my favorite. Just for the colors in early spring, 2012

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Itty Bitty, A sport of Green mouse ears. Smaller grower then most BME sports. Planted in 2013.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mighty Moe. A sport of Blue Mouse Ears Supreme. 2013. I'm very interested to see how the color changes as compared to Pure Heart.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears Supreme. This guy doubled in size this winter. It is almost the same size as the original BME that is two years older. Planted in 2013

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cat & Mouse. Its been reported this one is a little difficult to grow. I'm a little worried about that since it is smaller this year then when I planted it last year. A 2013 planting.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears. If you look closely you can see the eye just popping out of the mulch. This is one of two I planted late last year and had frost heaved on me. About four weeks ago I found it with the crown exposed 1/2" above the ground. I replanted it even though I thought it was a goner. It just popped up in the last two days!

It should also be noted this is not a âÂÂSportâ of B.M.E. but a hybrid. A cross of 'Blue Mouse Ears' x 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd'

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Church Mouse. R.I.P.??? Planted in fall of 2013

Sad to say this poor fella was the other who frost heaved on me this winter. Looks like it is not going to make it. I dug back the mulch and soil today and found the crown. Two eyes are dryed up. But the third still has color to it. maybe it will grow. Time will tell.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snow Mouse. New this spring.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mini Skirt. New sport of Mighty Mouse. Love the curly foliage, I can't wait to see how this matures.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Giantland Mouse Cheese. New this year for me.

Note not a âÂÂSportâ of B.M.E. but a hybrid. Cross of 'Blue Mouse Ears' àunknown

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flamenco Mouse. New introduction this year.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Field Rat. Sport of Flamenco Mouse. Reported to get bigger then most mouse ear sports.

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally a over view shot of the whole bed. Blue Mouse Ears is in the center with all its children, grand children, and close cousins around it. Along with some mini Heuchera, and Dwarf Maidenhair Ferns for added interest.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Love your extensive Mouse collection! I chose Sparkler over Mini Skirt...now I'll have to go back for MS! Love the "flounce" in Flamenco's skirts! Another added to want list! Thank you for enabling!

Jo

P.S. I have BME which I got the year it was named HOTY. It has tripled in the number of pips from last year (from 11 to over 36)...methinks it is it's leap year? I also have Holy Mouse Ears. Cute mice. You can fit them in anywhere!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Add Dancing Mouse to your list. Ruffled leaves, whereas Flamenco Mouse has some quilting too.

My potted BME got almost 2' across (leaves about 2.5" measured both ways before I had to divide it. They aren't as mini as you might think. Cat and Mouse threw a lot of green eyes for me and has stayed small. Mighty Mouse has stayed much smaller (maybe 1/2 the size) than BME, but very vigorous. You never know about mice...

It will be fun to see the progression when you grow them in the ground... it might take a couple years to see all the differences. You have a very fine little rodent area there. ;-)

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Very nice,but I had only two mouse eared plants,and Frosted Mouse Ears didn't return this year. I won't be replacing it. I'm with Ken on this one. I like medium,large,and giant hostas. The minis are just too small in my garden. Phil

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the complements everyone.
    Jo: I have to admit i was a little skeptical over Mini Skirt. I have ordered a few Hostas where the photo online drew me in. Only to find it is not a good representation of how the plant is going to look. But I have to say this looks true to the hype. I love the curl to the leaf. If that is what is drawing you to Flamenco Mouse. Also look up Church Mouse. I have to admit its my fault mine did not survive. But the twist in the leaf is very tight. Much like Mini Skirt. It was one of my favorites. I will be replanting it.

Babka: I would recommend pinching out the all green eyes coming out on your Cat and Mouse. They will grow more vigorously and take over. It would be a shame to loose the shadowing that makes C&M unique.

The BME photoed above is actually a division off my older Main clump. My original BME is about 6 years old now. last years plant was about 18" across! Almost as big as my clump of Blue Cadet of the same vintage.

Phil: Sorry to hear about your Frosted M.E. I have to say I do not think it is as a strong performer as many other sports. My clump is three sessions old right now and still has only one eye. At the same time I planted it. I also planted Holy M.E., Royal M.E. and Mighty Mouse all four from TC. The later three all have 3~4 eyes now and much bigger.

Jason

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

What a great resource for mouse info. Thanks for taking the time to post these and please keep it updated throughout the year to show how they progress.

tj

P.S. Is the bed shaped like a cat? ;-)

• w3csx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, its not shaped like a cat! That would be kind of funny though. Here is a side shot of the bed from last summer. You can see the clump of BME in bloom. Nice view of Guardian Angel on the corner.

Jason

This post was edited by W3CSX on Fri, May 23, 14 at 21:37

• Gesila
    9 years ago

The mouse hostas were selling like hot cakes at the auction last night! Now I wish I would have bid on Mini Skirt!

You sure have a nice collection. I have to find all of mine before I start adding. I like to use them near the borders to fill in between larger hostas.

Gesila

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

I found a ruffled sport of Mighty Mouse several years ago that was really fast growing and got much larger than Mighty Mouse ever did for me. I ended up giving it away since I didn't intend to pursue it, and then along comes Mini Skirt that looks just the same, with that unusual extra vigor that I saw in my sport. So if it holds true to the sport I had then expect Mini Skirt to be larger than most of the plants in this family.

Watch for the flowers on Flamenco Mouse this summer - the scapes often have some purple on them (nobody else in this family seems to do that) and the flower is darker purple than the rest of the family too.

Thanks for sharing your great collection!

Chris

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Chris, Flamenco Mouse sure is tempting with the flower detail you provided :-)
    Jason, yes, I too really like the ruffled leaf. It makes the hosta stand out. I have to get a Mini Skirt too!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Nice collection. I haven't had the best luck with mice. But I keep trying because they are so cute. Currently have BME and Might Mouse, both new this year. Lost BME and Frosted Mouse Ears over last winter. Keep us posted on updates of your group.