Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Unknown ID, very subtle variegation, kinda big plant

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

I will post one more pic of the full plant. Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The whole plant

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Can you photograph it from the side?

Also, where would you have likely gotten this from? Big box store, nursery or hosta specialty seller?

My initial guess is Regal Chameleon.... especially if the variegation fades by mid summer.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Melissa, I got many hostas from Plant Delights, a nursery called Hosta Farm that's no longer around, mail order from Bridgewood Gardens, Hallson's, Naylor Creek, etc. Quite a few were from trades. I am certain I've never heard of Royal Chameleon. Here is a photo from the side. It's almost dark, but it has sort of a vaselike growth habit.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

The vase-like shape is definitely like my Regal Chameleon, but if you don't recall buying it, that would be a rule out.

Regalia might be another option. I definitely think it's in the Krossa Regal family. The color is right and the shape is right. This pic is Regalia

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks a lot like mine as well, but I don't recall purchasing or getting that one either :( I think I bought Forest Shadows once. I wonder if that could be it? Are you familiar with that one? It's possible that the variegation gets more distinct as the season progresses.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Has that Krossa look.....link below to MyHostas sports page.....select Krossa Regal and see if any of the names look familiar.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Sports Lookup

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that link, Paul. None of those Krossa Regal sports sound familiar, either. I don't remember ever even purchasing Krossa Regal. Maybe I'll figure this out one day! I will watch it to see what happens to the variegation over the summer and see what the flowers looks like. Maybe that'll help.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any chance this might be Beckoning? That one sounds familiar as one I purchased in the past. Thoughts?

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Robin Hood?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mikgag, I can't remember if I ever had Robin Hood or not. It does resemble that as well.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By any chance could this plant be Jim Matthews? I do recall purchasing it in the past and it's highly likely it was planted in this vicinity. Thoughts?

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Jim Matthews has a twistier leaf and a much whiter center. How about Devil's Advocate?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi flower, I am certain I never had Devil's Advocate. This one is truly stumping me!

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Devil's Advocate has the opposite coloration, darker color is on the inside.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about George Smith? Does the color get more defined as the season goes on? That sounds like a familiar name. Paula, what do you think?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have some measurements for this hosta that I hope will help with ID. Also, the variegation seems to be getting stronger on the oldest leaves compared to last week's photo.

24 inches tall, 40 inch span, leaves are 7 inches wide and 9 inches long

Any more suggestions for what this hosta could be?

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Successfully ID'd by Shade_Tolerant today as Beckoning :)