Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lakeside Cindy Cee

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 19:19

Ever since UK posted those photos of her, I've wanted one. I'm at my limit on hosta, however. I have several that I would give away to make room for an outstanding hosta, though.

How has she done for you? Does she take much sun?

Can I see the photos?

Thanks,

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lakeside Cindy Cee

Year 2 for me. It's in the ground and has about 4 hours of sun. Remember it's from Tennessee originally so it should do well for you.

Steve

o

Oooooh, nice one. Very nice.

Don B.

o

Thanks, Steve.

I have two Frances Williams. I hate that plant. I know someone who would like one or two.

Cindy Cee is soon to be in the cart.

bk

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, May 3, 14 at 23:25

Yes, Bkay, you can always find room for one that grabs you. Story of my (hosta) life.

-Babka

o

This one has been on my list since I saw uk_hostaman's as well. It looks absolutely stunning and definitely worth removing some grass for!

o

BKay, you are doing the right thing. Send that other one on its way to someone who will appreciate a mature hosta. Are you enticing other Texans to grow hosta? Maybe the Arboretum would like some of your hosta, to grow or to sell for donations.

Been thinking about what to do with my hosta in containers when I pass on. Don't know if Mobile Botanical Gardens would like them or not, but it would be cheaper to get them there than to the Iowa Parrot Rescue up in Letts. For sure the house wouldn't sell with 500 hosta sitting in pots on the property.

BTW, my DH being an engineer and used to making calculations, has come up with a "density" calculation. He counted how many were in a certain measured area. Then he used that to arrive at the rest of the property density. And he came up with 500. Imagine that. Cannot trust a technical man to be naive at all. For sure, I am slowing down. (Did you hear that one? Don't hold me to it.)

o

LOL @ 'Density Calculation'!!!!! THAT is the best thing ever! I love this guy!

That density-calculating engineer of yours is pretty accurate, Mocc. : )

Don B.

o

Slowing down? I suppose that must be true. I had to and I only have about 70. As they grow up, what are you going to do with them? My Blue Angel is about 4 to 5 feet across. The Paul's Glory I bought last year is probably 40" across. My Key West is still a baby, as is Humpback Whale. If Pride and Joy and LS Shore Master get as big as Paul's Glory, where am I going to get enough shade for them?

I'm buying LS Cindy Cee, but I'm giving away some, too. I just have a city lot. Unless I start the "hanging hosta of Dallas", I've got to quit now.

bk

o

Well, Don, I cannot admit to him that ......particular number.....is correct. I was raised right, to deny deny deny......(a quote from Lenny Bruce, by the way). But I am certainly amused at the accuracy using such scientific methods when I've got hosta hidden in every nook and cranny so how did he know?

Well, BKay, I figure that if our environment is such a bad place for hosta, that problem will take care of itself. All I'm doing is trying to keep ahead of the curve. I've repotted I don't know how many of the ones here since 2012, plus the bad draining pots. The mix from 2012 was exhausted, worn out. I'm using it to fill holes in the yard which came about due to rotting tree roots. And, I'm contouring part of the garden to raise up some of the hosta. I'm making shade too. Growing shrubs, using umbrellas, and about to hang the 90% shade cloth. Since the storms a couple weeks ago, the bluebirds abandoned their nestbox, and I can now work at that end of the garden. Poor babies. The wind blew the nestbox almost apart.

The "Hanging Garden" concept is a good one. It is not as simple as the stadium seating used by Babka and ILoveToGrow in Jacksonville. The Hanging Hosta of Hampshire have brick walls to mount their rows of hosta on. My fence wasn't built for that much weight, and I hesitate to test it. Some heavy uprights, fairly close together, turned in such a way to create shade where there was none. I like to take advantage of the great spring days with lots of light and not so much heat. It is about at the limit of tolerance for noon to sundown direct sunlight. (But my golds are sure eating it up, even the plantaginea is almost golden.)

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 14 at 1:49

Bkay- You will soon become very selective and remove look-alikes. Then a plague of bugs or fungus or lousy weather will wipe out a bunch of the ones you really liked, so you get more. That is where I am now. OR you can do as I do, and take those big ones, take a division and start over with them. Then they don't take up much room and you can grow some of the new ones.

Those of us with pots get to do switcho-chango with our hostas depending on the ones we really like at the moment. Enjoy that...we don't have to dig up a mature hosta, like the folks up North, who have to hack at them with an axe.

Hostas are meant to be ENJOYED. If one gives you more joy than the next then replace it. I have put quite a few into the recycle bin over the years, as no one around here even knows what a hosta is, and I don't want to mess with selling them on the internet.

-Babka

o

My environment is not bad for hosta. (I'm still PO'd about that grower telling me I had an "unnatural" environment and that was the reason I had a bum September Sun and a bum Aphrodite instead of a plantaginea.) Mine seem to be doing ok. Most are ok at the arboretum, too. Some do better than others, but I think that's true everywhere.

In pots, they do take more attention. They have to be watered faithfully or they look ugly. Then there's the problem of them coming up early. But, I always kept pots of annuals in the summer. They have to be watered daily, too. Gardening in this area is different that other places. It's not a bad place to garden, just different.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here