Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctavish6

The darkest purple

mctavish6
9 years ago

This one got my attention yesterday. It is Purple Heart. I see it when I'm sitting in the garden. For now at least it's growing straight up. The petioles are almost black. This plant shows the petioles off better than any others that I have. I took several pictures and combined a side view and a top view of the same plant to make this background. I hope you are able to view it full sized.

Comments (11)

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant.
    Beautiful photo!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

That is neat. I really like it. Where did you get it please?

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Your's really shows off those petioles! I love how you combined the photos.

I can't see the petioles on my Purple Heart.

Gesila

• mctavish6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mbug. I do like working with photos.

ilovetogrow - I got this plant at a local (sort of) family owned nursery. They buy tissue cultures from Q&Z and sell them the next year at a very low price. I think this plant was around $20 or more that year with mail order places. Faye and I each got one for $6.95 - a great deal.

Gesila, your plant is so huge! How long have you had it? It probably doesn't show the purple because it's too full. Does it stand straight up just before it opens?

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

It was too dark to try to find mine last night and had to check my list of where it was and finally found it. Mine looks more open so had to shove the camera under the leaves. You stems looks darker but maybe how the sun is hitting them. Mine has 16 shoots this season. We got them in 2012 Myrle, I think?

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

top view of purple heart

• User
    9 years ago

That is a purple pet hosta...I mean to say the MOST purple pet hosta I've seen. I do not have Purple Heart, but I have China Girl, who stands tall with dark petioles too.

China Girl shows her legs, but not as purple as PHeart

Stephan King has dark pets as well

Sugar Plum is pretty dark, but the pets have a frosted look
    Taken in May 2014

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Thanks Mert for this info. I will go on line and see what I find. Mocc, China Girl looks sweet also.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Merle, my Purple Heart will be in it's fourth season this year. Thanks for posting your picture, I was able to go out and see it standing straight up, something that I never noticed before. It filled up today though, so I would have missed seeing it!

Almosthooked, I wonder what our neighbors think when they see us out there bending all sorts of ways to get pictures of "plants"!

Gesila

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Gesila..
    They know we are crazy. One loves that we grow and one says " too much work for me" . Maybe we a bit crazy but it's crazy for hosta! Our neighbors are far enough away as we live on an acreage . Then again, do we really care????

• User
    9 years ago

The purple hosta that I like is Purple Passion. I think Chuck Whatitis (?sp?) of Bridgewood introduced/originated it. I had it, it died, I have 4 of them now. I'm waiting for the flowering.

In Van Wade's catalog, I found a great description of it, and I quote
    "Upright, green leaves. Bloom scape is purple, erect and strong. Flowers dark purple, late. Purple flowers, purple leaf petioles, purple bloom scapes, and very dark purple seed pods! Absolutely stunning in bloom! Darkest Hosta flower to date!"

So I'm suggesting that you get one of them. :)
    It doesn't take up much room. When Van Wade says something is stunning, I believe him.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio