Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Your favorite bonus hosta

DelawareDonna
9 years ago

Mine is Ginsu Knife from Bob Solberg. Love the serrated edges on the leaves. Leaping in its 3rd year.

{{gwi:1003753}}

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

I have several which arrived as a bonus, but I think the one which always gives me a smile is Rosedale Golden Goose. It came from Hallsons with my second order from them...in 2012. Picture taken May 13 2014 and it is already blooming. One of my favorite most color-holding golds.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I always get more excited about seeing what the bonus hosta is that getting the ones I ordered!

Chris from Hallsons gave me Alex Summers as a bonus hosta in September 2010. It had 10 leaves on it. He saw that I was ordering hostas that would tolerate a lot of sun! He was so right about Alex Summers, it gets sun from 10:am until 7:00 pm.

Gesila

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Well, this is a sore subject for me, b/c every single time I've gotten a bonus plant, it's always been a duplicate! I just hope that one day, I'll get a surprise one!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

My favorite is Birchwood Parky's Gold. At the time, I didn't have any yellows. I really didn't care for it, but it grew on me.

bk

It has some cold damage this year, but otherwise, it's nicer than it's ever been. It is about to bloom with it's nice lavender flowers.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

The one I was most excited about was Devil's Advocate (love it!), but I've been really impressed with 'Sky Dancer.' Both are from Hallson. Sky dancer is one of those that just always seems to look nice. Good form, strong growth, nice ripples and movement, and the white scapes are a neat look.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Devon Green - I likely wouldn't have picked it out of a catalog, but color and form are very nice....growing in a lot of shade.

Paul

• User
    9 years ago

Paul, I always get inspiration from your garden. You bring so many elements together amiably. Now I realize what is wrong with my cherubs, four of them, Four Seasons. They are the wrong color! The antique white or cream is a much better choice.

What is that plant which looks like "asterisks"....excellent foil for the green hosta with the fern fronds.

Jadie, love your Sky Dancer. Mine is doing nicely but isn't a bonus hosta.

BKay, in another thread the Nakaiana Golden was said to be the same as Birchwood Parky's Gold. Did you catch that? Like getting two hosta in one gift. I bought my NGolden from Van Wade. It looks about the size of yours, mine coming here in 2012. Again, not a gift hosta.

Speaking of Chris and the choices of bonus/gift plants, I thought my first one, Avocado, was because I purchased his fragrant hosta. Then he sent Rosedale Golden Goose, a nice gold. It led me into exploring other hosta, reading about the Golden Goose. Now I have golds everywhere...they really flourish here in the intense sun. The further south you travel, yeah even to the equator, the darker your tan will become in a short time.....and the more it affects our hosta as well.
    Rosedale Golden Goose--I think it might be leaping?

Funn, with a large selection of hosta like in your garden, it is more difficult to get a unique gift. My first duplicate was Ginsu Knife from Van Wade. I consider it a learning experience too. If your first one was from another nursery, I bet they don't look like twins. Mine seldom do. It is my personal observation. What accounts for the difference? I haven't a clue.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Ground cover is Sweet Woodruff.....a little goes a long way....started with a 4" pot I split in quarters probably 6-7 years back.....I now have (5) 3'x3' areas. Pretty carpet in bloom, likes shade and moisture.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Paul, your little cherub with its wings folded into itself is so perfect nestled in amongst your gorgeous hosta! Your pics were the ones that enticed me into this hosta madhouse! Always beautiful, always something added to make your gardens memorable. Thank you for sharing. :-)

Jo

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia