Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Erramena (sp?)

bkay2000
9 years ago

Someone suggested that my noid might be Erramena, but I can't find it in the hosta library. I must be spelling it incorrectly or remembering incorrectly. It has also been suggested that my noid is Hyacinthia. Can you suggest a spelling or description of erramena?

bk

Comments (13)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Look under Undulata Erromena. When does it flower? Does it set seed?

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Steve,

This one starts putting up scapes at the end of April. It usually blooms in May. I haven't seen any scapes this year, though. It has never set seeds, but it doesn't make a lot of blooms, either. It has always bloomed by itself.

It's fairly likely that it's just some unnamed seedling, as I got it in a box from Sam's. I bought two boxes close to 20 years ago, which I think was before tissue culture. One was labeled Royal Standard and the other was labeled Sieboldiana Elegans. Each also contained a white edged hosta. One was u. albomarginata, and the other, Chris said was Diamond Tiara. The tiara got some kind of virus, so I chunked it. I still have the albomarginata.

It almost has to have some sieboldiana to bloom so early (?). It looks like fortunei to my very untrained eye. It has 12 or 13 veins and a white back. It's a pretty plant. It's definitely a survivor. If you were breeding hosta to last in pots in Dallas, this would be one of them.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, what you say is totally impressive. It is a survivor, in Dallas---if a hosta can make it in Dallas, it can make it anywhere in the world. OMG, yes, if indeed someone would be interested.....who could really do something with it. Like maybe A&M? Have you talked with them about this? Or to the Dallas Arboretum which grows the hosta to survive regardless of what they look like. I'd call that "gorilla kung fu fighting". So why not? I know it is a most important characteristic much respected by hosta lovers in the higher numbered zones.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

It's undulata erromena. Blooms early (June here in the Great White North), and never sets seed. Iron clad Hosta will grow anywhere. Pretty chartreuse when it emerges and turns plant green for the rest of the season.

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Steve, You suggested it a while back. That's why I came back with the question.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I like it in both form and color, and being bulletproof is always nice (especially in the blast-furnace that is Texas in the growing season, I'm sure.)

Those are great pics, BKay.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, no mention of pollen being fertile? It would be nice to have a bulletproof fragrant hosta, now wouldn't it....

Hosta are survivors, so maybe a little cross pollination with a fragrant more accustomed to the lower zones with more humidity and rain and a longer growing season, with a bulletproof hosta that can take the heat very well, using a fragrant streaker. Owwweeee! I'd love to have that one.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mocc, I thought we did. We call her Mama plantaginea : )

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, right you are, Don. Of course, Mama plantaginea can use all the help she can get. Because hosta are like potato chips, you cannot stop with ONE.

Undulata erromena would be worth trying even though it is not a streaker. Perhaps cross it with Mama, then take a hybrid of that and cross it with a streaker? Ought to keep me busy for the rest of this week, don't you think? HA!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look at the bloom times, though. You would have to save the pollen from May for the August blooms of Mama. You have to be dedicated to do that. Plus, Mama doesn't take pollen very well and u.e. is rumored to be sterile. It sounds like an uphill battle.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, when you are on a search for the Holy Grail, you expect challenges. Right? ;)

So. ..... Let's you and them get started on it, sooner the better. ;)

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How about you and them?

bk

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve, the only problem is that ID is that it doesn't undulate. I looked at the photos onlline. This one is as flat as it gets, always has been. It doesn't look like that one.

bk