Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Where to buy Manhattan

bkay2000
9 years ago

I want a nice, large Manhattan or two so that I have a good start. My luck with small hosta has not been great, between the weather and Cleo. Also, this one is supposed to be slow.

I've not previously bought from any of the guys who have it. Based on your experience, who you would think would send the largest one or two?

Wade
Contrary Mary
Cooks (Eagle Bay)
Flying Frog
Hornbaker
Made in the Shade
Mason Hollow
New Hampshire
O'Brien
Savory's
Schmid
Seabright

bk

Comments (30)

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I've been coveting Manhattan also. So I'll be reading to see what everyone thinks. Probably will be making trip to Wade and Gatton in a few weeks. Will check them out when I'm there.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

They aren't gonna send you the biggest one, but I bought my Manhattan in person from NH hosta and I've been very pleased with the growth rate....not sure why it has such a bad rep for growth- I have several others the same age that are ten times as slow. I think I counted 18 eyes this year- should be amazing! But, I do always like to start with the largest plant I can get, in general, because I'm pretty impatient.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

bk,

I have used Flying Frog, Contary Mary's, O'Briens, NH Hostas, Mason Hollow and Made in the Shade. Of these I would recommend MITS and Mason Hollow as both being top notch. But the first thing I would do is to email Chris and see if he has one, even if it isn't on the website inventory. If he hasn't got a decent sized one he'll tell you.

Steve

• Lee
    9 years ago

I just got my package today from Mason Hollow and this is Manhattan from them.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi BKay,

From your 'Manhattan' list, I've only purchased from NH Hostas and Sebright. Was very pleasantly surprised with the size of the divisions from Sebright. They were large and obviously pieces from mature plants. As big as Green Mountain. Great root systems.

Nothing wrong with NH Hostas, but the size of the plants I got from Sebright was downright impressive.

Happy Hunting,
    Don B.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I emailed Chris. LOTG has a "not for sale" designation on their Manhattan. I guess I'm too picky, but I really don't want to start with one the size melati is showing from Mason Hollow. I would rather just pass. That was my point in posting this question. I guess I've gotten spoiled by all the large specimens I've been getting locally.

Maybe I'll get lucky and Chris has one to sell.

bk

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

flying frog will likely dig it from their stocks. Stuff is very late here, but she has good quality stuff. big yet, probably not. but nice.

dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

call land of the giants... and ask him ...

and offer to pay extra for a larger division .. if its so important ...

if you want big.. then you have to select from field grown sellers... who actually cut a live plant.. rather than TC sellers... who grow on TCs and really never cut them ...

ken

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I've been to O'Brien several times--it's within driving distance--and ordered from both Made in the Shade and NH Hosta's with excellent results in each case. Plants were large from O'Brien--John personally chose each plant on my list. Plants from NH & MITS were healthy and lush even if they were selected with packing & shipping in mind.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I would second MITS or Sebright as your choice here. You can also always call them and tell them what you are thinking and I'm sure they would let you know how big their Manhattans are that are shipping. No way on NH Hostas, though. You will get a miniscule bit of nothing from them. FYI, Bkay, I noticed that most of the small pots that didn't make it through the winter for me were from NH Hostas. I wouldn't buy from them again, personally.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Sorry, you are a little late Manhattan was purchased in 1626 for some iron kettles, axes, knives, and cloth.

• coll_123
    9 years ago

NH hosta wouldn't be my first choice as far as mail order, but because they are within driving distance for me, I've purchased many hostas there and they have all done really well in my garden.

Here is the Manhattan I got there in 2007

next year

last year

I recounted, and it's got twenty eyes coming up this year- woo!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. Chris doesn't have it. He said he didn't have good luck with it, so didn't ever re-order.

Coll, what is that light green edged one with ruffles at 10 o'clock in the last photo? Thanks for the photo.

Melati, thanks for the photo. It told me exactly what I wanted to know.

I have a call in to Jeff @ LOTG. He went to see how big his are.

Then I'll call Seabright. After that, I quit. I don't want one bad enough to take a small one.

bk

• coll_123
    9 years ago

bkay, just get one! It will grow up eventually and you'll be glad you got it. But fingers crossed you can find a good sized one. That's always a treat, I know. I checked again this afternoon and mine has 22 eyes this year!

The one on the left edge of that pic is Spartacus.

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

I have tried it twice and it did not do well for me. I won't try again.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

I only ordered plants from Hallson, Land of Giant (several fall 2012, and again spring 2013) and Green Mountain (11 hostas fall of 2013). LoG and GM sent divisions from mature plants. All of them grow well and look a lot like mature plants the 2nd year (except with less eyes). The ones I got from Hallson's tend to be 1-2 year single eye plant so size wise no comparison to L0G and GM.

As others suggested, you can email or call LoG or GM, and ask them to send you bigger plants with more divisions by paying more.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think they really like to do that. At least GM didn't want to do it for me. They wanted me to order more plants, which I did. They looked wonderful. However, they did not overwinter well. I really wished I had been able to see what the two HUGE Fragrant Bouquet starts they sent would look like. I imagined a huge, apple green, fat, frilly pot of hosta. But Mother Nature didn't cooperate with my hosta dream. FB survived though, so I'm happy about that. I like Green Mountain.

I just called LOTG and asked if he had a large Manhattan to sell. He said he would look and call me back.

Also noticed, while at their site. They have Snake Eyes again. The price is up, though. It's now 40 dollars.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

BK, I got many orders in yesterday and today, and the ones in the midwest are behind in size, unless they grow in protected spaces.

I got Manhattan from Mason Hollow in NH, the 2 gallon size, and it is a fine plant. Why not give them a call and ask how Manhattan is coming along this year. The order I got from them this week was in good shape, but most of the hosta were smaller than they will be in a week or so. However, be sure to call and put your name on a good one.

Mine is doing fine, but it was invaded by fire ants which I'm exterminating before renewing the potting mix. It does great in a container, BTW. This picture taken May 7, 2014

• Lee
    9 years ago

Opppss forgot they hv the 2 gal, if I knew that much diff in size btw the two I would get the 2 gal, but this was companion plant to go with my Foxfire Palm Sunday lol..
    Yours looks nice Moc.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melati, that is the one she bought last year, I think.

It's a beauty, Mocc.

bk

• Lee
    9 years ago

Bk.. They do have option for 1 gal or 2 gal on their website...

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Does this look like Manhattan? I think I have it, but I am not certain.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think that's it, Lavendar. Every Manhattan I've seen is really corrugated and is more ruffled - even young ones. But, I don't have one yet, so I'm not sure. I'm sorry, I don't have a guess on this one.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not even close lav.. and you are hijacking someone elses post ... though the shiny wet leaf might be throwing me off ...

ken

• Lee
    9 years ago

BK, Do you want me to let know know if I see a nice one when I go there in July?

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No Melati, Thanks, I appreciate it, but it's too hot to ship to me in July. They roast in the mail truck. I've got to get his done right away, as it will get hot in a hurry here really soon.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

I called OBriens over the winter to ask if they shipped, and Mr. O said no. He indicated the nursery will be for sale in near future or maybe now since they wish to retire. Lots of plants there, but for BKay and myself not an option to take a drive.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

bk,

Call Sue or Chuck Anderson (Mason Hollow) and ask what size Manhattan they have for sale. As with most Hosta folks, these are very nice people.

Steve

• Lee
    9 years ago

Bk... This is how Manhattan looks today... you need one :)

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful plant, Melati. I'm attempting not to buy any more hosta for a while. I went to pick up that Wolverine that Ludi talked me into, and there was a gorgeous Night Before Christmas. Then, on my way out of the store, I saw the most gorgeous Minuteman I've ever seen in real life. Francee does really well here, so that seemed like a good decision. I have two LS Cindy Cee's on the way, too. Manhattan will have to wait. I've run out of space and shade.

Thanks for the photo.

bk

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts