Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Neptune

Babka NorCal 9b
9 years ago

This one is new or me this year, as is Diamonds Are Forever. I grouped them with a newly divided older Blue Ice to show off Neptune's special soft blue/green coloring.

-Babka

{{gwi:1004110}}

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Babka, is that little round leafd blue thing with a white back Diamonds Ar forever? I assume that means t keeps its white marks. tisure lovely to look at. So is your new Neptune.
    What 3d plant do you want there? The variegated takes attention away from the star. Some other would be better. Subtle, maybe another white backed medium to small that grows fast.

Little Hobber is dark green, veary coarse corrugated leaf, quite durable, leaf shape similar to Diamonds. Dull dark green. I don't think shiny would work.

I bet Jo could think of one. But here is Little Hobber, if you don't have one get it, doesn't take up any space, honest.

Little Hobber is the dark greenie. Eye Catcher is the gold of similar style corrugation.
    {{gwi:1004111}}
    Little Hobber was still blue green in Aug last year.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc- Blue Ice is the little blue one...I just divided him so he looks dopey. Diamonds Are Forever is a new one for me this year as is Neptune. I only put them there in the atrium doorway for this photo to get them out of the sun and show the wonderful color of the Neptune leaves. They all went right back on their shelves. In a few years, when they are ready for Prime Time, they will go on the deck just outside my fam room/kitchen for me to see all the time.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mocc, Diamonds are Forever is a sport of Diamond Tiara. It appears to be a great grower, like it's mama. I had one in a pot for years (Maybe 15 or so.) It was faithful. I lost it to a virus. I bought a Diamonds are Forever this spring, too. It's a beauty. I'll get a photo tomorrow.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, Bkay. I just got Diamonds Are Forever this spring, and it is so wonderfully different from other tiaras. No wonder they got a patent for it. I wanna see yours too!

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bumped - can't wait to see bky's pic!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I had to go out and take one.

If this construction ever gets over, maybe I'll be able to get some decent photos.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay- I would say THAT is a VERY decent hosta photo. Beautiful pic. The green is just perfect.

-Babka

9 years ago

I agree Babka - and I like the overlay look, it almost looks like a platinum setting in some places. Very pretty plant.

• User
    9 years ago

Okay, boy was I confused. It must be pretty vigorous to be that large in comparison to the Neptune. But Babka says "new this year" on Neptune, where I missed that part and thought it was bigger. Comparing it to Diamonds Are Forever, there is not much diff in size.

One that I think the DAF would be quite similar to, maybe in size as well as vigor and color, is Fair Maiden. That is a power house of a small hosta! Wow! It acts just like it thinks it is a big hosta.....the Yankee Doodle Dandy(James Cagney) of the hosta world maybe. It has ATTITUDE.

Okay, so I take a look at DAF. It's small, won't take up much room will it. Fair Maiden needs a diamond forever.

9 years ago

Love that rationale, Mocc! :-)