Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Be a Sport - Tell Me I Have a Sport!

hostanista
9 years ago

Zounds planted 2012. Just noticed these 4 leaves that are definitely not Zounds-like. Could it be a sport? Is it a sport? This would be my first sport!! Be gentle, it's my first time.

Comments (12)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer look at one of the non-Zounds leaf/sport

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Looks like a sport. Check on the MyHostas Database for the progeny of Zounds and see how close it matches existing known sports.

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Mon, May 26, 14 at 21:06

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

It looks like a sport, especially if the entire "eye" or division has that same or similar pattern. If you want to separate it, do so in the early Fall, around the beginning of September. The both pieces will have time to build roots before Winter.

Steve

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Yeah. Looks like it will be a real beauty.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

That's a good one, Hostanista. Good luck with it! Should that grow and thrive, would be a great companion plant to Dick Ward.

Don B.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YAY!! This is exciting!

Yes, the new bit is sprouted all from its own entire eye, so Steve, I will take your sage advice and separate it from its mom in September.

How can one be sure if something like this is a brand new sport or a sport that's already been recognized/named? It has the colouring of Dick Ward but not the corrugation (because it's young? Might it corrugate as it matures?)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your first sport! It is so exciting to receive such a bonus from one of your own, isn't it? and it has such vibrant colour too! I see 4 different colours. Happy for you...I had a couple of my own last year so I understand how you feel!

Just like Funnthsun who is cleaning up with all her sports this year too. Good year!

Jo

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

It doesn't matter is there is another like it,it is a new sport,and you can name it Joe,if you want. Congrats on your sport. Just for your info,sometimes sports come back the the next year as just another of the same plant you took it from. I hope that's not the case. It definitely looks different enough to be a sport! Phil

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Lucky, lucky, lucky! That's a pretty one!

• User
    9 years ago

I have one of Dick Ward's sports, Alligator Alley. It has leaves as tough as DW, and I really like it. This is a y/g also, not y/y like Zounds.

Alligator Alley on the left margin, shown with Dance With Me same sort of variegation but a different softer green tone. Both have great substance.

Dick Ward, just so you can see the rest of the family.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mocc, my Dick Ward is looking quite robust this season. I bought it on your advice. It's a favorite, thanks!

Maybe Alligator Alley is in the cards, too.

Don B.