Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsugajunkie

So I went to a hosta sale...

...and a bit of tour broke out.

A nice sale (I went to it last year) and I brought my camera this year. The gentleman and his wife have quite a nice garden and a great selection of nice sized plants, though I limited myself to two. This year I just picked up Salute and Pandora's Box. Last year I grabbed an Empress Wu, Brother Steffan, Lakeside Shore Master, Wolverine, Moonshadow, Praying Hands and Aristocrat.

Part of the sale area...

In and around the back yard..

A few individuals in the garden...

Foxfire Palm Sunday

Justice- The picture does it no justice. It was a bout 5 feet in diameter. Those leaves were huge.

Stained Satin

Stargate

This is only a small sample of the garden (thought I took more pix). I must have combed the sale area more than I thought.

tj

Comments (22)

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that Stained Satin..
    I have by no means seen every type.. but that is new to me..

very interesting !

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

I wish my Stained Glass looked like that one. Mine has no sign of ruffles.

What ever that is.......it's a beauty!

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Love, love, love, that Stained Satin!!!

• Cher
    11 years ago

Impressive gardens and sale. That Stained Satin is fantastic with the color pattern and leaf edges. Thanks for remembering your camera this year.
    Cher

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Firefox Palm Sunday is a relly unique looking plant.
    You showed remarkable restraint in escaping with only two! Guess you'll be going back again next year!
    Jan

• Wendys_garden
    11 years ago

Wow TJ, thanks for sharing your photos!

I also live in SE WI, can you tell me where this sale is, and is it a one-weekend only kind of sale or is it still going on?

Thanks,
    Wendy

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Sorry I see that I read it wrong, it's still beautiful!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Stained Satin doesn't look anything like that at the library. Wonder how old that plant is???

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Wow. What cool Hostas. I haven't seen a mature Justice like that one before. It's the streaked form of Victory. And that Stargate has both nigresens and plantaginea genes. Thanks for the tour, Tj.

Steve

• Eleven
    11 years ago

Okay, Stained Satin is on my list. First, I looked on the hosta library, and didn't see any comparison between the pic here and there. Then I looked more closely and saw that the library pics all showed young plants, but the second pic has ONE leaf that shows that lovely rippled edging. Google told me Stained Satin is a white-centered sport of Lakeside Black Satin. I know that some hostas tend to develop better rippled/piecrust edging when they're older and not moved. So now I really, really want one of these.

• jeanne
    11 years ago

Hmm. Stained Satin is a sport of Lakeside Black Satin, tj's pic looks more like LBS (in form, at least) than any of the pictures in the HL.

It sure would look good in my garden. Thanks for the tour. :)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

...just adding Stained Satin and Firefox Palm Sunday to my "If I had more space" list...

Thank you for posting!

Connie May

• hostabff
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tour. Very nice. You should submit your picture of Stained Satin to the Hosta Library. This is a better picture of Stained Satin than any of the pictures in the library now.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking, folks.

Jan- My restraint was soley due to space limits and not any self control on my part. ;-) Although, had any of the specimens I pictured been available I would have made room.

Wendy- The sale is usually the second and third weekend in May. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the details for next year.

Eleven- Good eye on spotting that ruffled leaf in the Hosta Library pic of Stained Satin. I'll have to contact the owner to get more details on his plant.

This garden is influenced by the lake effect of Lake Michigan, so some things were behind places further west (I wanted to see his Queen of the Seas but it was only 2 inches high), yet some sunnier spots (that Justice & Stargate, for example) were well on their way.

tj

• User
    11 years ago

You chose some beauties to snap photos of, TJ. If I had any mature plants now, I'd probably be living out on the street to make room for all that are here. But I'll find a way. I'm sure if that Stained Satin were in front of me, I'd not hesitate to get another hosta.

Lot of WOW factor in that garden.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping this up 'cuz a couple folks asked for a heads up for the sale this year.

His sale will be May 18 & 19 and May 25 thru 27. On Saturday he opens at 8 am and runs til 5 pm. Sunday he opens at 1 pm. Not sure of his hours on Memorial Day but I'll be there the first Saturday morning for the best selection.

So if you're anywhere near Milwaukee on those dates and would like the address, shoot me an email.

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ gardener-in-wi You'll need to change your email permissions at Garden Web (and resend an email) in order for me to respond to your email.

tj

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

OHHH tj - will you be first in line when the doors open? Sure wish I lived near Milwaukee. Maybe they will have some of those 'not for sale' beauties from last year available this time. Good luck, and waiting for your results posting! Remember you can always grow them in pots!
    Jan

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First in line? Hmmmm, why maybe I'll take a page from my old concert going days and camp out.

Pots? Hosta can grow in pots? Not sure I've heard that anywhere. Funny you should mention that, with all the talk of impatiens woes I was debating trying a hosta in this pot this year (really a pot in a pot).

But that whole overwintering thing keeps turning me back, and this pic was late in the year and it was well into September when they died and hosta might start looking bad by then too and...and...and...

tj

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have responded to all the emails I received that I could asking for the address of the sale. If you haven't gotten an answer from me, resend it with your email address in the body of the letter.

tj

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Gotta have Stained Satin!

• User
    10 years ago

You know, right here you sold about a dozen Stained Satin!

And then along comes SteveMass with his sly introduction of "plantaginea" into the conversation, saying that Stargate is a PLANTAGINEA cross.......and that makes the 2nd one from this series going on my very short WISH LIST. Counting them all, I have 9 on the list.

Beautiful pictures every one of them.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz