Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie81

Is Krossa Regal difficult?

jamie81
9 years ago

I planted one last summer, and it failed to appear this spring. We did have a horrible winter, and I did lose quite a few, but I was just wondering.

I assumed Krossa Regal was an old time, easy to grow hosta. Any advice? Is it picky? Should I try again?

Comments (14)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mine is new. But I would assume that since it's recommended by the Dallas Arboretum for Texas that it's a really tough plant.

bk

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

I have two that seem really healthy this spring. I have seen it growing in a large stand in the woods of an old estate...it was spectacular and practically growing wild. Do try again. I think it's worth another go.
    Jan

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

While my garden is considerably warmer than yours in Z4, my Krossa Regal is planted up against the (unheated) garage foundation on the north side of my property. It's been in the ground since 2010 and is well established but other than bark mulch over corrugated cardboard along with fallen autumn leaves, it gets no protection from severe winter weather.

I've not found it to be difficult in any way and have always treated it the same as all my other hostas. In other words, it gets no protection or other special attention from me. It is a spectacular hosta nearly every year and appears to thrive no matter what Mother Nature throws at it in terms of either dry or wet conditions.

Based on my own experience, I would definitely recommend trying Krossa Regal again.

I have Regal Splendor planted next to KR and it has performed as expected just as well as has Krossa Regal.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal is definitely not difficult.

You may have planted it too deeply and the crown rotted.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Worth getting another if this one is gone. Mine jumped from 3 to 17 in 3 years and going to be a beauty again but twice the size. Get another for sure!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its older than most of us.. except maybe phil .. lol ... and one of the driveway hosta...

cold was not the issue ...

call a do over ... a well grown one is worth it... that is why is been around since the dinosaurs .... just ask phil...

ken

ps: sorry phil.... lol

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

My KR, picture taken early June 2013, are tucked in between a blue spruce and a lilac. Besides covering a fence, they discourage weeds from coming through (that's buckthorn seedlings coming up behind them that I have to trim back every year). They survived all of that root competition and total neglect. I would try again.
    Beverly

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Sun, May 18, 14 at 8:50

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Krossa Regal definitely not difficult. I planted mine in 2010 and it gets no special treatment. This pic was 2012. I've taken many division off it to share with friends. This year it is 50 eyes.

• funky_koval
    9 years ago

My 10-year-old Krossa Regal, over 110 cm tall and almost 180 cm wide. Vigorous and easy to grow...

This post was edited by Funky_Koval on Sun, May 18, 14 at 10:39

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Jamie,

I agree with others that KR is very robust. Mine was obtained as a young 1 year plant with 1 tiny eye 2 years again. Just getting into Hosta gardening and knowing nothing about root competition, I planted right next to a big river birch trunk, which later on I found out sends out many many roots. I decided to leave the KR alone and see if it would be ok. It has done well. This year 6 eyes showed up.

I am in Zone 5a, just north of Chicago. Hostas on the sunny side of the house are ~ 4-6 weeks more advanced than the ones in the north side receiving less sun. I had a few hostas in the shade area just came out ~ 1 -2 weeks ago or last few days. So be patient you may be pleasantly surprised.

Some folks on this forum also advised that you can dig out the hosta and see what happended to the root if you truly believe it has not survived the harsh winter.

Vivian

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

My two KR are doing great, must be how you planted it. Get a larger one which will survive better the first year including winter.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I have one that's been in the garden for many years,but it has never grown well for me,until this year. Just three eyes this year,but it survived the spring freeze,despite being near a lot of other plants that were severely damaged,so I would say they are keepers. And Ken,I resemble that remark! I am older than dirt! Lol! Phil

• jamie81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I am sure I did something......could have been too deep. It isn't roots this time, there is nothing in the area.

I will try again. They really are nice. Maybe I will get two to increase my chance of success. Our winter was way beyond horrible, so I am sure that didn't help things.

Thanks again!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio