Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Anyone have Exstasy, Golden Needles or Smiley Face?

esther_b
9 years ago

I asked my Brooklyn friend to send me measurements of how many inches there are around her 2 large ball-shaped bushes in her postage-stamp-sized yard. She sent me an email telling me "it was about 64 inches from the porch to the widest part around the bush and about 64 inches from the driveway to the opposite end of the left bush. Aaaaaaah, a math problem!

I used her 64 inch measureent with Circumference = ÃÂ d. So, ÃÂ is about 3.14 inches and her diameter was 64 inches. Bingo, I got about 201 plantable inches. But wait! For the left bush, we can't plant the back edge because it's against the wall of her porch. So that leaves about 3/4 of the circumference as plantable, about 150 inches. And the right bush is against the porch and sidewalk, leaving about 100 plantable inches. I made her an Excel document showing pictures of the proposed hostas and heuchies, with their diameters and a summation of the total inches of plant.

So it looks like there's room for 5 small hostas and 5 small heuchies around the left bush, and 4 small hostas/3 small heuchies around the right bush.

My proposed lineup for the left bush is: Golden Needles, Rainbow's End, Rainforest Sunrise, Extasy, and Paradise Island, interspersed with the heuchies Midas Touch, Paprika, Peach Flambe, and Rio. My proposed lineup for the right bush is Smiley Face, Ripple Effect, Remember Me, and Appletini, with the interspersed heuchies Vienna, Rio, and Midas Touch.

I have NOT worked with the hostas Extasy, Golden Needles, or Smiley Face. I selected them for their chartreuse green, which I feel will "pop" from the shadowed area in front of the bushes, and I selected the heuchies I did because of their reddish/gold colors which I know go well with the golden colors of the hostas.

Has anyone grown Extasy, Golden Needles or Smiley Face? How are they? And, which is superior, Golden Needles or Silver Threads and Golden Needles?

Has anyone grown heuchies Peach Flambe or Vienna? I
have the rest of the crew myself and love them.

I was working on the Excel spreadsheet during a free period today at school. A math teacher looked over my shoulder. "Whatcha doing?" I explained how I derived the measurements I needed to select plants. And voila! My project turned into a MATH PROBLEM for his classes!

Comments (3)