Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

NoID Hosta - WARNING - Heavy Photo Load

aezarien
14 years ago

OK, I know these are quite a lot of photos and unidentified varieties. The mystery factor is killing me but I hope I don't quickly wear out my welcome here by asking too much.

This first set contains the Hosta I grew from the wally world roots. They are still young so I am not sure how helpful the photos will be. A few look correct to me and a few look totally wrong.

Hosta 1 - Marked Karin - Looks like Karin

Hosta 2 - Marked Francee - does not look correct to me

Hosta 3 - Marked Julie Morss - does not look correct to me

Hosta 4 - Marked Undulata Albomarginata - Looks like it to me but has some odd leaves here and there.

Hosta 5 - Marked sieboldiana 'Elegans' - Kind of looks like it but doesn't have the ripples between the veins.

This second set contains Hosta I was given.

Hosta 6 - Was given a big chunk and have no clue what it is. Looks sort of like an undulata variety.

Hosta 7 - Was here when I moved in. There are three. They all looked alike but I provided photos of them all anyway just in case.

This third set contains Hosta I purchased at Stacy's. I know I purchased Francee and Hyacinthia. I may have purchased some variety of Aureomarginata and Regal Splendor.

Hosta 8 - I think is the Francee

Hosta 9 - I thought these two were the same thing but..

This one has barely noticeable markings on the leaves:

Hosta 10 - This one does not have any markings and the leaf shape seems a little different.

Hosta 11 - I thought these two were the same as well but..

This one has a more upright growth, the leaves are a little more chalky, and the margins are more of a cream color.

Hosta 12 - This one is a little shinier and grows closer to the ground. The leaves are a little shinier and the margins look more golden. It gets more sun that the other one though.

Last but not least:

Hosta 13 - Is a little brighter than the rest but not quite a chartreuse color. While another Hosta by it does great with a little evening sun peaking around the corner, this one hates where it is. It was real full last year and went all wimpy toward the end of the summer. It came back all crabby like this.

Again, thanks for any help you guys can give me. If additional or bigger photos will help please let me know.

Comments (7)

• Mary4b
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have some immature elegans and they do look a lot like your #5, so that one is most likely a correct label.
    Sorry I can't be sure on the others.

• aezarien
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Mary. I figured that might be the case but just wanted to be sure.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

There's a leaf on the far left hand side of the first image of #5, which you have identified as noidhosta-015.jpg and it looks rather suspicious to me, I believe what I see may be signs of HVX. Take another shot of it, it's the leaf @ 9 o'clock.

The odd looking green-misted leaves on Undulatas are quite common. Undulatas are quite unstable.

#2, marked Francee, quite obviously isn't as labelled. With the plants still rather immature it's hard to say which blue one this is, perhaps Elegans, time will tell.

#6 is Undulata, either Mediovarigata or Univitata. Check out Henk Hooijer's webpage for more info.

#7's on the tip of my tongue, the memory's excellent, the recall leaves something to be desired.

#8 looks to be correct as Francee.

May I suggest it would have been an easier post to answer if it had been split up into several smaller posts.....

• aezarien
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That photo started off as being pretty big anyway so I just cut that section out. They lose a little clarity that way though so please feel free to let me know if I need to pull out the macro and get a real close-up.

Thanks for taking a look!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

• aezarien
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! That was what I thought because it was the weird one. I figured instead of asking, "9 o'clock in relation to the photo or the pot?" I would just blow them both up.

I'll get out there in the morning and take a macro of it.

By the way, I can split the post up if that is preferable. I just don't want to be any more annoying than I have to be. I prefer to split them up because it is less load per thread and you don't have to scroll through all of your own junk to get to the answer. I was just concerned about hijacking the forum and bumping other things with a bunch of new threads.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

Tina, the close-ups should probably be done as a new post, since there will be additional pictures that have to be loaded and this thread is large enough already.

Pieter