Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hvx on komodo dragon? and a general hvx question

Posted by weekendweeder 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 19:54

Brought this KD home today and in the early evening light (as opposed to the shade and bright afternoon sun at the nursery), I got a better look at the leaves on Komodo Dragon. I'm hesitant to put it into the ground. Is it worth testing for HVX?

Spots on the top left and splotches on the right:

Weird leaves on Komodo Dragon

More spots:

Weird leaves on Komodo Dragon

My other [rather silly] question is I noticed something that looks like HVX in a neighbor's garden. Our beds abut and I have a hosta planted a few feet away from her hosta (just one in the bed looks suspicious). Is there a danger of the roots entangling and getting infected that way?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hvx on komodo dragon? and a general hvx question

Think the damage on Komodo Dragon is weather realated not HVX. As far as HVX being transmitted from a plant in a joint bed, if someone is digging in the bed, and cuts the roots of a diseased and healthy plant, the disease can be transmitted, or by somebody weed-whacking, or cutting scapes etc. It does not spread just by touching, it is by sap that the disease is passed on.

o
RE: hvx on komodo dragon? and a general hvx question

I defer to those who know better than I, but if it were mine I would be inclined to think freeze and frost damage with the veins in pic 2 damaged by water freezing in them, and the tiny spots in pic 1 by particles of ice as in frost.

I hope I am learning, so I now open myself up to being corrected, which doesn't bother me a bit.

Les

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here