Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinita_gw

Best place to buy hostas online?

Dinita
9 years ago

I've never bought any hostas through the mail. For those of you that are experienced with this, can you please recommend your favorite site? Thank you.

Comments (17)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hallsons
    Naylor Creek
    Land of the Giants
    Made in the Shade
    In the Country Garden and Gifts
    Mason Hollow

Just my .02

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

We LOVE these questions. Land of the Giants, never ordered from them, heard great things from this place. Order with confidence.

Also...

Hallson Gardens
    Naylor Creek
    Green Mountain
    Green Hill (Bob Solberg)
    Sebright Gardens

Don B.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

in my experience

Hallson's

Green Mountain

Northern Grown Perennials

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Naylor Creek
    Land of the Giants
    Green Mountain
    Sebright Gardens
    Green Hill

All great places, all great hostas

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 21:17

• esther_b
    9 years ago

I've gotten nice plants from:

Made in the Shade (hostaguy.com)
    NH Hostas (New Hampshire)
    Hostas Direct
    In the Country Garden & Gifts
    Jim's Hostas (for the ones no one else has)

I've gotten particularly responsive and excellent customer service from Made in the Shade and In the Country.

• User
    9 years ago

Also,
    Wade and Gatton (OH)
    Savorys (MN)
    Plant Delights Nursery (NC) -ship with a pot, not bare root, ..(.if your state only allows bare root plants, they cannot ship to you)
    HostasOnTheHill (AL)

While the last two have great hosta, their selection is not as broad as Van Wades, for example. All the ones named so far ship good hosta, healthy too.

Made In The Shade is another one.
    Probably more, will have to think of my orders.

• fayemo
    9 years ago

I also would add Bridgewood Gardens to those listed above. Reasonable prices and shipped well packed.

• ogrefcf
    9 years ago

Hallson's, you wont regret it. Best place to get Hostas.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Probably this week I will get my order from Land of the Giants, looking forward to it. I ordered older cultivars, most likely will get pieces of mature plants.
    I am also happy with hostas from :
    Glenbook Farm,
    Hallsons,
    Naylor Creek.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, May 26, 14 at 11:44

• valtorrez
    9 years ago

Do any mail in pots or already all barefoot?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

The ones I bought from Land of the Giants were shipped bare root and the ones I got from Casita Azul were shipped in small pots. I planted them in the ground and they are doing great.

Linda

• Judith Casey
    3 years ago

As of 3/24/20 Hallson Gardens mail order business

is closed. The owners retired.

• miles10612
    3 years ago

Jim’s transitioned to Uniquely and Wade and Gatton closed in 2019. My favorite is Sebright—the best packing and shipping In addition to large super healthy plants

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I will also shout a recommendation for Land Of The Giants! They sell very nicely sized plants. Also, must mention Hornbakers Garden. They send two and three eyed plants with great root systems for very reasonable prices. I will order from both of them again.

debra

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Wade and Gatton opened back up last year. Stopped doing the per eye pricing and just sold the whole pot for the 1-2 eye price. I haven't heard what they were doing this year.

The problem with Hornbaker is I ordered some small Hosta and when I planted them in front of my other new medium and large Hosta they were just too big. I know the other ones will catch up, but it will be a couple years at least. All new plants this year except the tall 1st and Ten on the left and the little variegated one in the back. Hornbaker sent the 3 in front and the one in the middle right of the fern. The blue in back will be one of my largest Hosta (Gentle Giant) also came from Hornbaker.

Here's the whole new bed. The 3 bigger plants near the middle are not new this year.