Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppermint Ice...is it rhizomatous?

Posted by don_r Z 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 19:56

My Peppermint Ice has always formed a nice mound in my garden. In my friend's garden, however, it seems to be somewhat rhizomatous, sending out eyes away from the main plant. What's your experience- is it rhizomatous in your garden?

My Peppermint Ice forms a mound:

My friend's Peppermint Ice seems to be rhizomatous:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppermint Ice...is it rhizomatous?

Only 2nd year here, and it was planted late. But so far, it's a nice clump.

o

That's MY hosta above. I've had it 5 or 6 years - don't remember off hand. Last year it started showing this rhizomatous behaviour. Just wondered whether other have as well.

Thanks to Don for posting this. I'm afraid I haven't been a regular here (though I've been a member for years), but maybe I should be. It took me awhile to sort out logging in because I used the wrong old (no longer valid) email address, but I managed to sort that out.

The link will take you to the PAGE on SmugMug where I've been tracking PI since 2008. Scroll to the bottom of the page. And if you want to see my other hostas, just follow the links at the top of the page.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: my hostas

o

It's hard to tell if it's rhizomatous, Don. There's all this dirt in the way and I can't see the roots.

Steve

o

Well yes, but trust me, they are all connected. I've only ever planted ONE plant there.

o

Violaann, did I already make a remark about how well organized you are?

Your blog is awesome, with great detail, like a garden journal. I admire your observations and attention to detail.
Plus, your plants are gorgeous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here